Win7 Crashes

purple

Hi

I purchased a new system last December with Win 7 Pro 64bit. Since then I have suffered many Kernal Power 41failures when the system hangs but doesn't reboot. (The net is awash with many others suffering similar problems but as yet nobody has come up with a specific cause.)

The failures are entirely random and I wonder what would happen to the status of files if Eraser was processing when a hang occured? Would it resume automatically when power was restored? Would the part erased file still be accessible to continue the erase for instance?

T.I.A.

purple said:
The failures are entirely random and I wonder what would happen to the status of files if Eraser was processing when a hang occured?
The file would be partially erased -- the file will be intact; but its contents will be partially erased (with junk).

purple said:
Would it resume automatically when power was restored?
No.

purple said:
Would the part erased file still be accessible to continue the erase for instance?
...depends how you interpret the first part of my answer. :)

To follow up on what Joel said, partially erased files will, as often as not, be unreadable, even if they are visible in the directory. If they are visible, you can send them to the Recycle Bin and erase that.

If they are already deleted, you can of course re-run the wipe free space. Alternatively (and this would be my approach), you can use Recuva to try and find them, and then explicity use the facility in Recuva to wipe any files that you consider to be sensitive.

I hope you find a fix to your underlying problem soon.

David

The corruption that DavidHB mentioned would usually be more of filesystem-level corruption, which would be due to an error more lower-level than Eraser (BSOD due to filesystem driver etc), so I guess it all boils down to what's causing the BSOD.

Thanks to both - and the tip on Recuva will be worth pursuing if the worst happens.

BTW and FWIW I don't get Bsods like some others do with Kernal Power 41. My system just hangs/freezes. It's been back to Overclockers who have had it running under Prime95 for 19 hours with no core failures. I've had 2 streaming vids + other browser windows open + 1 dvd + Word + Excel running my own VBA software which ran the fastest times ever. Yet I can be browsing 1 page and it will hang. There's no apparent logic. The subject has created some of the longest threads I have ever seen. :)

But thanks for the prompt replies.

Nice program.

Back