Win7 error: Value does not fall within expected range

Hogwaump

When trying to right-click-->erase temporary internet files in Windows 7, I frequently get failure on every file, all with this error message. The same operation works fine under Windows XP. How can I accomplish this in Windows 7?
Using eraser version 6.0.7.1983

The meaning if the message is one for Joel, I am afraid. It is not documented, as yet at least.

Does the software work with an ordinary file or folder erase. If it does, try running Eraser 'elevated' (details of how to do this are in the FAQ), to see if that makes a difference.

David

Running "as administrator" and attempting the same erasures produces one of two results: (1) same failure/error message, (2) eraser application crash.

Thank you for coming back. I have version 6.07 running under both Windows 7 and XP, and, though I have found plenty of ways to break Eraser, this is one I have not seen.

This is guesswork. But I'd try the following things in order

If, by any chance, you installed Eraser 6 over Eraser 5, uninstall both completely, and delete any residual traces of Eraser you can find, including the Task List file and run a registry cleaner, such as the one in CCleaner, before reinstalling Version 6.

If your version 6 was a clean install, try just deleting the Task List files. Details of where to find it are in the FAQ; the index topic at the top of the FAQ list has a link.

At that point, I'm afraid you will need to try an uninstall, removal of traces (as described above) and reinstall of Eraser.

If that doesn't work, I hope that Joel can soon find time to come back on the forum, and advise.

David

The first install of eraser on that machine was a clean one, no prior versions. If memory serves, it seemed to work at first with many of the temp directories, then started displaying this problem. The first thing I tried was to uninstall & reinstall, thinking I had accidentally erased some part of eraser. The reinstallation did not change anything. I now wonder if I have accidentally erased some part of Win 7 that eraser depends on.

Hogwaump said:
The reinstallation did not change anything. I now wonder if I have accidentally erased some part of Win 7 that eraser depends on.
Or there may be an issue with the .NET framework on which Eraser depends. But, again, I'm guessing.

David

It would be nice if you can run the Nightly builds and enable Crash Reporting. Please sign up for the Beta-testers group so you can post your findings there. The crash reporting should provide me with more information to fix the problem.

Back