Win7 Guest Account errors

dhigger

Using 64-bit Windows 7, after logging into the Guest Account, Eraser throws an error (without user interaction).

Can this be avoided? Can Eraser be installed for users except for the Guest Account?
Actually trying Eraser from the Guest Account causes errors also.

What is the error, please?

I have not tried using Eraser with the guest account; it really needs a proper user account (sometimes with administrative privileges) to work properly. Without knowing your error, I don't know whether the problem is that Eraser cannot access a Task List (these are user-specific), simply cannot access particular files from the guest account, or the error is the normal situation that users simply cannot write to protected system files.

David

Hi, the Windows error is rather generic, it says "Eraser has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem." The only error in the Event Viewer at the logon time is a System error, from DstributedCOM, with the following (opaque) details:
Code:
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 
{8BC3F05E-D86B-11D0-A075-00C04FB68820}
 and APPID 
 to the user higgins-acer\Guest SID (S-1-5-21-2082316477-4054869368-211485560-501) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.
I'm just guessing that this is the error associated with Eraser (I can't see info about the process which spawned the error).

When trying to erase something, this error appears:

Hope this helps
Dave

Attachments

• eraser error.jpg
    eraser error.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,371
dhigger said:
Hi, the Windows error is rather generic, it says "Eraser has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem." The only error in the Event Viewer at the logon time is a System error, from DstributedCOM, with the following (opaque) details:
Code:
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 
 and APPID 
 to the user higgins-acer\Guest SID (S-1-5-21-2082316477-4054869368-211485560-501) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.
I'm just guessing that this is the error associated with Eraser (I can't see info about the process which spawned the error).
Eraser doesn't use DCOM so I don't think this is the error.

dhigger said:
When trying to erase something, this error appears:

Hope this helps
Dave
That would most likely be it. Eraser currently cannot run without the Crypto API's CryptGenRandom. I can provide a custom build with potential fixes for this -- are you willing to test? If so, please PM me with your email/contact details. Nonetheless, this limitation should affect all users, not just the guest one.

Yeah sure I'll test if you like.

But note Eraser (6.0.8.2273) works fine in the Admin logins; I only get the error in the Guest login. Haven't tried a Standard user login.

Will PM my email address.
Dave

We'll take this offline, and I'll post the solution if one is found (hopefully!)

This is old, but I've finally fixed the problem. All Eraser 6.0 builds after r2564 have the fix applied and should work. See #406 for details.

Back