Win98SE Questions

justpedalfaster

Hello,
First of all, thanks for a great product and a great site. I really appreciate having this resource and these tools available at no cost.

I have some questions about erasing with Win98SE. I have used Eraser before in windows mode and a little in DOS mode. My questions all relate to using it in DOS mode (using eraserd.exe).

SWAP FILE
Regarding the win386.swp swap file, I have read some people say to keep the swap file a fixed size so then it can be cleaned using eraser. i.e. When Windows manages the size, as the file size changes you will have clusters left with information even though you have wiped the file itself. My question is this – if I clean the file and then clean the slack space immediately following, don’t I end up in the same place?

TEMP FOLDER
I planning on running eraser on the C:\Windows\Temp folder and cleaning out all the files there. Is there any danger in doing this?

OTHER
I will also clean up the files in the following folders: C:\Windows\History, C:\Windows\Recent, C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files and C:\Windows\Spool\Printers\. Any comments on this would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Sam

Back