Windows 7 Support?

cold_realms

Just a quick question.. Since Win7 Beta (feature complete) is out to the public (and will be the only beta before the april-ish release) are there plans to support it? Or work being done in that direction for those of us early adopter types?

I have tried both the Current stable release along with beta rc4 of ver 6 and both fail under Win7 x64. They install but crash when i try to do anything with them.

Hi cold_realms :)

Win7 !! Blimey you’re keen aren’t you !!! :shock:

Eraser V6 doesn’t work properly with XP or Vista yet !! (Only joking ..well a little bit !) :lol:

I am sure by the time Win7 is fully released Joel will have made the necessary adjustments.

Will you be prepared to volunteer to help Beta test it for us since you have Win7 ?

Absolutely. The machine I have it installed in is going to be replaced so everything is backed up ready for reinstall so fire any beta's this way. Preferably some with debugger logs active so i can post them back. I am at your disposal!

-Phil

Hi Phil ! :D

That’s great !!! Really great, thank you ! :D

Eraser needs quality Beta testers. There is something about the 2 posts you have made that makes me very interested in you.

I will PM you. :wink:

I am ditto on this question and would very much like to have a useable Heidi long before 6.1 is actually RTM.

This is my own personal (built) computer. I double boot with vista, but by changing the spindle boot order - (Vista was unplugged when Win7 was installed)

My safety is imaging by Acronis TI 2009 home.

I am on my 5th Win7 install - mostly my own fault, but one that MFT got shot... Heidi? (5.86a) dunno! Haven't installed Heidi since.

So if you are willing to send me a test executable I will take full responsibility for anything I screw up (it's all backed up anyway).

3 spindles
36gb raptor (Win7)
500gb Hitachi (Vista plus maybe 6 or 7 other partitions in various roles.
160gb Hitachi (mostly Acronis backup images, but they are also elsewhere and some are committed to DVD)

Vista is SP1 and current.
Win7 has most of my stuff on it - blu-ray, HDTV, FF, TBird, OpenOffice, etc etc.

Kris
-----
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, E7200 2.53@3.8ghz, 2x1gb,
OCZ Reaper1150@1203, EVGA 9800GTX+ N873 ,
LiteOn DH401S08C at CP56 BluRay player | Hannspree HF289H 28" |
OnAir USB HDTV-GT with 5.1Dolby and Purevideo Silver,
Logitech 5.1 speakers, Hannspree HF289H 28", Comcast cable, Raidmax RX530-SS psu,
Win7 firewall, Avast A/V, Vista Ult 32 SP1 / Win 7 7000

scratch that - I'll wait... and try other things ...

It didn't notify me of your reply. (EDIT: I've since modified stuff in profile, so it should now...)

I tried a bunch of others, specifically looking for those that would do cluster tips, trying to find something that would clean up the 300 or so items that Recova was seeing. No luck although I think there's a couple $20 or so that will do it, but that's not verified yet, and I won't pay for anything until I verify that it actually works - none of this "money back" bull.

I did try Heidi 6.04.875b , but when I installed it, take no offence, it was a total joke - it gave me a message saying something like the plugins were bad so it was deleting them, and then presented me with Heidi. which would do absolutely nothing - it was all greyed out, as I recall.

So anyway, totally frustrated and still fully believing that heidi 5.86a totally hosed my MFT on a previous Win7 , I just tried it again (now being fully protected by frequent Acronis TI 2009 images), and told it to clear free space (including cluster tips etc)(I always use 1 pass pseudorandom data as I do it fairly often - 3 times and I'm sorta close to DOD...) Anyway, it took a while - maybe 10-20 minutes, I didn't time it (26GB partition on a 38GB raptor, I watched part of a movie on WinDVDBR9 while it was doing its thing, and then checked file structure with right click, tools tab, and all was fine. Damn! created a file, deleted it, emptied recycle bin, checked file structure, and still, all was well. Ran Langa, and still all was well.

Now I will go reboot. Be back in a couple of minutes... Hopefully...

Well, it's still alive and well. boot proves something, plus with Win7 I have Puran Defrag set to do a defrag on every boot with everything checked except "fill empty spaces" - not because it needs defraging, but because it looks at the directory structure and therfore MFT. So I know all is likely well.

I do notice that a Heidi 5.86a does not spray all that option stuff into the recycle bin (erase using this, erase using that, erase using.....) in Win7 like it did in Vista (thank whomever!!!!!!!)

Beta tester? Sure. But you gotta give me something much better than what I experienced with 604875!!!!!!!!!!! Not criticizing Joel, but gotta be realistic.

a test will be :
empty recycle bin (so that recycle bins on other partitions won't be affected by the test. HOPEFULLY)
take acronis image
uninstall 5.86a
install beta
smash and trash C:
<report back>
restore that acronis image, and proceed as though nothing happened.

If that is useful, you can email me a file any time, I think - it goes through gmail and I don't know if their size limit wil allow 13mb or not. or you could give me a pointer. or come to think of it I have another server that would probably pass 13mb no prob. Whatever.

or maybe it's the new BFG 650w PSU I just installed in it????? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yep, it says on the box: "fixes all Win7 problems" and "fixes any and all Heidi problems" :mrgreen: :twisted:

Hi KrisM :)

I am on my 5th Win7 install - mostly my own fault,

:roll:

It didn't notify me of your reply. (EDIT: I've since modified stuff in profile, so it should now...)

Well done. :)

I did try Heidi 6.04.875b , but when I installed it, take no offence, it was a total joke - it gave me a message saying something like the plugins were bad so it was deleting them, and then presented me with Heidi. which would do absolutely nothing - it was all greyed out, as I recall.

Prior to installing V6 Beta you may have found the following links useful.

Instructions 1

Instructions 2

Beta tester? Sure. But you gotta give me something much better than what I experienced with 604875!!!!!!!!!!! Not criticizing Joel, but gotta be realistic.

Quality Beta testers are hard to find. :roll:

Are you actually saying that you downloaded Beta software, that was not designed to run on your OS, actually an OS that itself is still in Beta, without following or even reading the Eraser V6 Beta instructions and you are surprised or disappointed that it didn’t work flawlessly ? :shock:

Joel has done remarkable work on V6. I believe you are the first person to claim V6 is a “total joke”. Yes there have been bugs, but that is why we have Beta’s, V6 is a total rewrite of V5 so actually there have been relatively very few bugs considering.

I eagerly await your code submissions to amend Joel’s work. :wink:

If that is useful, you can email me a file any time,

You are welcome to check the Eraser news page whenever you wish.

Eraser Current Releases

:lol:

oops, I think you feel insulted. Certainly not intentional.

Overwriter said:
Hi KrisM :)

I am on my 5th Win7 install - mostly my own fault,

:roll:

:mrgreen: at about 10 minutes an install, I was playing with things like the location of the 200mb boot partition on a particular spindle so I didn't have to use Standalone Acronis DD to zap the alternate partition to active, so I could effectively dual boot Vista not using its booter. - i.e. I was having fun! 8)

Well done. :)

:p yeah lol - missed that one completely - that's a DUH on me! :D

Prior to installing V6 Beta you may have found the following links useful.

Instructions 1

Instructions 2

yep... prolly :lol:
... after 65 years you want/need/expect me to read instructions??? :wink:

Quality Beta testers are hard to find. :roll:

Are you actually saying that you downloaded Beta software, that was not designed to run on your OS, actually an OS that itself is still in Beta, without following or even reading the Eraser V6 Beta instructions and you are surprised or disappointed that it didn’t work flawlessly ? :shock:

:twisted: Actually, YES. Win7 (6.1) is a mod to Vista (6.0 (6001) ) Virtually everything that worked for me on Vista works on 6.1 - which is still in serious (supposedly)(it's a marketing ploy) beta. barely out of alpha (believe that and I have a great bridge for you!!!!!).
I always jump into these things (3.11, 95, 98, ME, XPrc1,2, etc) fully expecting them to blow up in my face. i have found Acronis to be sufficient insurance for any demise said test may cause to my PC system. Then I can have fun. Been doing this since mainframes 7070 and 1401 / 1620 / 360 25/40/50/60/70 370 / 3330 etc. It is simply how I have fun. I don't claim to know anything other than how to protect my system!!! :evil: :mrgreen:

Joel has done remarkable work on V6. I believe you are the first person to claim V6 is a “total joke”. Yes there have been bugs, but that is why we have Beta’s, V6 is a total rewrite of V5 so actually there have been relatively very few bugs considering.

I eagerly await your code submissions to amend Joel’s work. :wink:

I'll get right on the de-compiler and should have it ready by this morning. :wink: Oh wait, I think some guy over in cz has already hacked it - I'll grab a copy of that... :wink:

If that is useful, you can email me a file any time,

You are welcome to check the Eraser news page whenever you wish.

Eraser Current Releases

again. LOL.

Now, if I have insulted you, that was not my intention, but so be it. 99.9% of software and hardware that worked for me under Vista has worked w/o mod under Win 7 - actually only a TEAC external floppy (USB code 10), an HP8250 scanner full driver and only because it actually checks the release, and MS's own Gadgets - the support simply isn't there yet, and I never used it anyway. Even lowly Yahoo had a new release in a day that allowed Widget engine an install to 6.1.

I know nothing.

Perhaps you need the kind of support I cannot give.

In any case I wish you all well and bright blessings!

I stumbled across this thread looking for information about support for Win7 in Eraser.

If you are looking for any more beta testers, feel free to contact me. I am a fan of eraser. have been using it for years now, and am actively using Win7 one one of my machines.

Let me know if you're interested. I'd love to know how the progress of Win7 support has come so far.

Actually Microsoft's statements about Win7 having the same core as Vista and things which work on Vista should work on 7 are quire true... for v6 anyway. Things worked for my code pretty much out of the box. If you want to try build 875 go ahead and grab it from the main website and report any problems you face on Trac. Although I must admit that after RC it coincided with a large amount of activity on the Eraser codebase and so I'm using a private build (1071) and may have quite a number of stuff fixed...

Thanks!
Joel

Back