Wrapping folders often not erased: "currently in use" ???

psto

Since I replaced old Eraser 5.8.8 by v6.x it happens very often that I can erase (big) files inside a folder but NOT the "wrapping" folder itself.

The task log shows always something like:

"The file D:\.......\wrapfolder is currently in use and cannot be removed."

This happens in approx 90% of the cases.
I declared the erase job through WinExp context menu of 64bit Win7.
That is very disappointing. Old v5.8.8 had no such flaws.

The wrapping folder is definitively NOT locked. Sometimes, for Eraser testing purposes, I just created it before and moved the files into it.

So whats wrong?
This is a really big bug. It makes Eraser v6 almost unusable for me.
If I for example erase the same folder with the software alternative "Wipefile" everything works fine.

So the error message in TaskLog is nonsense

Peter

Re: Wrapping folders often not erased: "currently in use" ??

Which anti-virus application are you using? Do you also have the Windows indexer enabled, by any chance?

Joel said:
Which anti-virus application are you using? Do you also have the Windows indexer enabled, by any chance?

Win Indexer disabled (for this partition).

Does this matter at all?

AV: GDATA Anti-Virus 2011 (but only on demand; no continous file monitoring)

Does this matter at all? Other eraser have no problem with this.

Peter

I can't reproduce this problem on my end. Folders erase just fine even if files are within it, even with my Anti Virus (Symantec Endpoint Protection) and the Windows Indexer enabled.

The error returned is Windows telling Eraser that the folder is locked -- unless Windows is lying here (difficult) Eraser has to simply follow as Windows instructs. This error is generated only after Eraser issues the delete folder command to the computer and receives the locked error 7 times or so (so Eraser does retry.)

It is possible that this may be caused due to Eraser obfuscating the file names before deleting the folder (so that folder names cannot be recovered.) Perhaps you can let me know your software set up (Windows Version, Anti Virus version etc) so that I can see if I can set up a virtual machine and try to reproduce the problem.

Back