Eraser Causes freeze of XP when right clicking

Please post your support questions here.

Moderators: Eraser DevTeam, Eraser Moderators

Eraser Causes freeze of XP when right clicking

Postby MarkReaves » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:19 pm

Basically it seems this topic is what I'm having issues with but it is locked so I'm posting here.

After I installed 5.8.7 on a fresh Windows XP install with SP3 and all current updates as of this post.. if I right click on any file/folder/shortcut/etc the entire Windows will freeze.

I have verified it is indeed Eraser and uninstalling Eraser fixed the problem.

However, I want to have Eraser as it is a very useful program.

Moderator edit: the link to the solution is at http://bbs.heidi.ie/viewtopic.php?p=15484#p15484
Last edited by Joel on Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Direct link.
MarkReaves

Re: Eraser Causes freeze of XP when right clicking

Postby Joel » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:15 am

5.8.7 is released, have you tried uninstall 5.8.6a and reinstalling? I can't reproduce the crash/hang/freeze in a XP SP3 clean install.

Joel
Be sure to read the FAQ before posting. If you found this application useful, please contribute to Eraser's development.

I develop Eraser but I am not an employee of Heidi Computers Ltd. My views do not represent those of Heidi Computers Ltd.
Don't PM or Email me questions: they won't be answered any faster than on the forum and knowledge won't be accessible by all.
Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby MarkReaves » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:14 pm

I'm sorry, I was mistaken about one thing in my first post.

I was using version 5.8.7 when this issue happened. I had meant to say that 5.86a download link leads to an empty page.

Some more notes... Eraser worked on same computer with Windows XP SP3 (I had to reinstall Windows yesterday and while doing so had to install eraser).
Does eraser have any dependencies that may or may not be missing that can be checked?
MarkReaves

Postby garrett01 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:47 pm

Are you using the 64bit version?

Can you try turning off 'entropy polling' in eraser options

Garrett
garrett01

Postby MarkReaves » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:34 am

admin wrote:Are you using the 64bit version?

Can you try turning off 'entropy polling' in eraser options

Garrett

I'm on XP 32bit, entropy polling was never enabled on any of my installs of eraser.

It still freezes the whole computer (just tried installing again). This time to verify it was 100% the context menu eraser puts in, I disabled the content menu addition from within eraser and XP doesn't freeze.
MarkReaves

Postby MarkReaves » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:12 am

Not sure if it would matter but there is one thing different between previous XP installs and this one...

The drive letter for the windows drive is H:\ instead of the usual C:\
And no I can't change it to C:\
MarkReaves

Postby plneon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:38 pm

I have encountered the mentioned issue regarding Eraser 5.8.7 as well. I have been using Eraser 5.8.6a for a year and no such problems had ever occurred. In my case, it is Vista SP2 32bit which freezes. Explorer.exe crashes, to be exact. It is a random thing, though. Happens from time to time. I have not noticed any pattern which could help pinpoint the problem.

If this helps anything, my context menu contains WinRar's and Norton Security's shells, besides Eraser's.
plneon

Postby MarkReaves » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:52 pm

My context only contains Winamp, VLC, GPGee and 7-zip added.
MarkReaves

Postby Joel » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:58 am

Does the hang always occur when right-clicking anything or is it only the first time you right click on something in Explorer shortcut, file, drive, Computer, Network etc)

The next time this occurs, if you are using Vista, go to the task manager, go to the Processes tab, find Explorer.exe, right click it and run a Create Dump File. That will store the lock up information of Explorer.exe in a file, zip up the file and you can send it to me, I'll try to examine the hang from where I am. Otherwise, I've ran through the changes to the shell extension but can't find anything that could have broke the extension...

Joel
Be sure to read the FAQ before posting. If you found this application useful, please contribute to Eraser's development.

I develop Eraser but I am not an employee of Heidi Computers Ltd. My views do not represent those of Heidi Computers Ltd.
Don't PM or Email me questions: they won't be answered any faster than on the forum and knowledge won't be accessible by all.
Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby MarkReaves » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:14 pm

I'm on XP so that creating of dump file wont work for me.

However, I did find out something, not sure how useful this information would be.

I installed eraser again. When I right click it freezes explorer. This time I had the task manager opened, I killed explorer and then "new task" then explorer.exe

After the desktop came back up, right clicking on files/folders and such does NOT freeze explorer.

To make sure this was repeatable, I restarted the computer. Once back on the desktop, right clicking on any file/folder and such froze explorer again but killing and starting explorer again makes it stop freezing.
MarkReaves

Postby Joel » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:37 pm

I have the same behaviour when debugging under Vista, but even the debugger hangs after Explorer hangs.. this will be tough.

Joel

Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby MarkReaves » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:34 pm

Not sure if it's related but I know some recent updates (installed before I installed eraser on this fresh install) have messed up my shutdown process. This computer used to shut down automatically after clicking "shut down" but now I have to wait till it says that it's safe to shut down and then press and hold the power button till it turns off.

It could be possible the recent updates changed something and broke it.
MarkReaves

Postby gstock » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:01 am

i am having the same exact problem on both my desktop and laptop. both running xp service pack 3 32-bit. when i uninstalled 5.8.7 the problem went away.
is there a way to download an older version?
gstock

Postby Joel » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:22 am

I've released 5.8.8-beta1 which has the runtime libraries specifically selected to be compatible to those installed. I think that may solve the problem (I've just installed it in a fresh install of XP and it works fine.) Download here.

Joel

Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby vidmidia » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:43 am

I have been having the shell freeze problem with Eraser in Windows Explorer XP (SP3). I uninstalled the version 5.8.7 and installed 5.8.8-beta1, to no avail. It still freezes explorer when I right-click the first time. After I kill explorer process and restart it, it stops freezing, as before. I have to use ShellExView to disable Eraser shell. It's a shame, because one of the most useful resources of eraser is the shell. I hope it gets fixed.
vidmidia

Next

Return to Eraser Support