Eraser Causes freeze of XP when right clicking

Please post your support questions here.

Moderators: Eraser DevTeam, Eraser Moderators

Re: Eraser Causes freeze of XP when right clicking

Postby calintexas » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:19 pm

It's been 3 days since I used CmdrX3's method. I continue to have no issues with freezes; so, thanks again CmdrX3.
calintexas

Postby CmdrX3 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:17 pm

Your welcome, and I also continue to have no more freezing issues yet
CmdrX3

Postby Joel » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:05 pm

For those of you who have seemed to resolve the problem using CmrX3's method could I trouble you guys to try the latest (SVN trunk) binaries which are built with the latest updates -- the old betas and RC's contain the old runtime and I want to see if v6 is affected in the same manner.

Thanks!

Joel
Be sure to read the FAQ before posting. If you found this application useful, please contribute to Eraser's development.

I develop Eraser but I am not an employee of Heidi Computers Ltd. My views do not represent those of Heidi Computers Ltd.
Don't PM or Email me questions: they won't be answered any faster than on the forum and knowledge won't be accessible by all.
Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby calintexas » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:19 pm

Joel, I'm running v 5.8.7 now. What you want us to do is install V6 RC5, right? Do I need to uninstall v 5.8.7 and/or any of the MS Visual C++ 2008 Redistributables first?

I'm traveling now, and my Internet access is a bit dodgy. I'll do what you've requested after I've returned home (9/29).
calintexas

Postby Joel » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:09 pm

Sure thing, one you're ready drop me an email (see my profile) and then I'll email you a copy of the latest binaries from SVN.

Joel
Be sure to read the FAQ before posting. If you found this application useful, please contribute to Eraser's development.

I develop Eraser but I am not an employee of Heidi Computers Ltd. My views do not represent those of Heidi Computers Ltd.
Don't PM or Email me questions: they won't be answered any faster than on the forum and knowledge won't be accessible by all.
Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby CharlesKane » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:55 am

Win 7, RC. Latest stable Eraser. Explorer crashes on first right click of Recycle bin. Explorer usually (not always) crashes on right click desktop. Explorer sometimes crashes on right click of filename in explorer file list. After explorer restarts the above right clicks usually work fine - tho they do seem rather slow.
Haven't tried a fix - have uninstalled. Suspect that will work.
CharlesKane

Postby Joel » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:57 am

Please try the workaround proposed and see if that solves the problem.

Joel

Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby calintexas » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:56 pm

CharlesKane wrote:Win 7, RC. Latest stable Eraser. Explorer crashes on first right click of Recycle bin. Explorer usually (not always) crashes on right click desktop. Explorer sometimes crashes on right click of filename in explorer file list. After explorer restarts the above right clicks usually work fine - tho they do seem rather slow.
Haven't tried a fix - have uninstalled. Suspect that will work.

Uninstalling Eraser does solve the problem. Alternatively, the workaround that Joel recommended that you try is in about the middle of page 3 of this thread. It is: Postby CmdrX3 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:08 pm. He developed it through several hours of trial and error. It worked for me.
calintexas

Postby eec » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:22 am

confirm right click hangs pc. no response. need to ctrl + alt + del then end task of item that has no response. after that, could continue to do right click without issue.

removed eraser 5.8.7 and reinstall 5.8.6

found 5.8.6 here -> http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/f ... ption.html

tried 5.8.8 beta. does not solve issue.
eec

Postby TVS » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:21 am

I have followed with a great deal of interest the exchange of ideas on this forum since offering my suggestion in my Sept 2 2009 posting that the Microsoft Visual C++2008 Redistributable update may have been at least part of, if not the cause to this problem.
Thanks to the time and effort contributed to the forum by CmdX3 for picking up the issue from that point and coming up with a workaround to overcome this glitch. I'm delighted to report that having followed the workaround he has developed, the right click freezing of my system while using Eraser 5.8.7 has been resolved!! Great work CmdX3!!
Again, many thanks for your time and interest.
TVS
TVS

Postby guzolany » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:09 pm

Hi there,

same problems with right clicking and freezing here. And quite interesting workaround-suggestions. But I have to confess that I am not willing to mess around with any workaround if I can not be sure that this wouldn't cause problems with other software over the long haul.

Eraser is an extremely useful tool and I don't think that there is a better alternative for free / with donation out there, but hey, it is still a tiny tool that simply should function properly without (re-)installing any C++-stuff or even the whole OS (while experimenting). And since there seem to be hardly any other(?) programs that are affected by this C++-Problem, Heidi should solve it and not obligate the users to hack their systems.

So the most important first step should be to put a warning on your download-page since this problem might affect a lot of people and a warning will help preventing lots of trouble for them, because in many cases it takes time and efforts even to find out that Eraser causes the problem. As it was in my case. Heidis reputation might also suffer if this bug will be hushed up furthermore.

Good luck and thanks for the brilliant work,
guzolany

(Sorry for my bumpy English - no native speaker...)
guzolany

Postby smthrn » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:30 am

Bugreport
To reproduce: Use Windows XP 32 bit. Install Avast version 4.8.1351 or 4.8.1356. Install Eraser 5.8.7. Right-clicking should now course a chrash.

I have used virtual PC's and even different physical PC's and still get the same result. Either uninstalling Avast or reverting to Eraser 5.8.6 solved the problem.

I appreciate the work done by the developers of Eraser so I hope this information will be helpful.
smthrn

Postby sportflyer » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:39 am

I am using Win XP SP2 as the OS. I have the same problem of Eraser 4.8.7 and Avast 4.8 not able to coexist together . Removing either one solves the right click problem. I like both programs and hope there is a solution . I might try an earlier version of Eraser to test out its compatibility with Avast.
sportflyer

Postby Joel » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:22 am

I've managed to (finally) reproduce the bug in my virtual machine. I've also went to dump the output so it can be used for more debugging. My preliminary analysis finds that:

• Explorer hangs because it is in a deadlock (technically, a loader lock deadlock)
  • Explorer hangs because the loader lock is held while calling SendMessage from within the lock - the process will not be able to respond to the message request
  • Subsequent threads hang while waiting for the lock to be released

The reason why removing the runtime seems to solve the problem is because the DLL code seemed to have changed between versions of the runtime. I compared the source code for MFC vs. the disassembled output and the instructions seem to differ. I'll see if there's anyway to find out more.

Joel

Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby spooky » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:36 am

Hi I just wanted to come in this one too. I recently installed windows 7 and ultimately ended up reinstalling about 7 times (to the extent I was wondering if that was why it was called windows 7). I had a problem with the bonjour service which caused the first couple of failures but ultimately I kept on having the exact problem described in this thread, and it has taken me about 10 days to get to this stage and find out what it was, with lots of searching on forums and a day by day reinstallation until I homed in on the problem. I too am running Avast 4.8 and when I install Eraser explorer starts crashing and the system becomes unuasable. If I remove eraser all is well again.

I appreciate eraser is free and have several years of reliable service from it. I would hate to lose having eraser and hope that you can solve the problem.

regards
S
spooky

PreviousNext

Return to Eraser Support