My personal opinion about Eraser 6 - Pros and Cons

Please post your support questions here.

Moderators: Eraser DevTeam, Eraser Moderators

Re: My personal opinion about Eraser 6 - Pros and Cons

Postby imnotrich » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:41 am

Sorry guys, the title of this thread was "my personal opinion about Eraser 6 - pros and cons. If you interpreted my opinions and suggestions for improvement as a rant, that was not my intent and I apologize. I was expressing sadness at what seems to be a huge step backwards from version 5 to 6 and I don't find anything in the FAQ's to change my opinion.

Any running process that is not currently needed is, in my opinion, a resource hog.

And I'm not sure why pointing fingers at Windows for a problem Eraser is having makes sense, especially if - as you point out - Eraser has always been a Windows program. It's supposed to work WITH windows, not conflict with windows.

Not sure what outreach was done to the community seeking their input while version 6 was in development, I surely wasn't aware of it and from the tone of other posts it would seem a lot of people were caught flatfooted by the changes. I will give version 6 a fair test drive but I could very well end up returning to the previous, stable and more useful 5 series.

Finally, I do hope you spend more time on user input. When you say "please do come forward with useful ideas and we would try to accommodate them, unless it runs against our design philosophies" you might just as well have said "we know what is best for our users, so we alone will make the decisions."
imnotrich

Postby DavidHB » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:20 am

Please be assured that I did not think that your post was a rant, and its tone was entirely in keeping with both the forum in general and this thread in particular. My reply was intended as a courtesy as well as an expression of my own views. I read Joel's response in the same way.

We'll have to agree to disagree about the running process. As a fix is in the pipeline, it's probably not worth a lengthy discussion in any case.

The problem with Windows is that it changed, and changed in ways that were not helpful. For example, UAC is in my view a disaster (and despite widespread comment to the contrary, has not really improved in Windows 7), because it limits user choice without, as we have discovered, materially improving user security. In certain respects, therefore, Windows has made it significantly harder for applications such as Eraser to co-exist with its security model. This manifests itself in a number of ways, so the solution to the problem is necessarily complex, and, with the resources available to the Eraser Team, both requires the progressive approach they have adopted and involves trial and error.

As regards the issue of user input, I too am on the user side of the fence. Joel seems to me to be making a fair point, which is that, with an open source application, users need to become participants if they want to influence the development. Trac has been available for user input from Day 1. If I didn't take the trouble to find out what was there while development was in train, and so was surprised when I downloaded and installed Eraser 6 (and that is pretty much what happened in my case), does that give me a legitimate beef against the Eraser Team? My own view, having thought about it, is that it doesn't. You are free to think differently, and that is a good thing.

David
I am not an Eraser programmer, but a long-time user; my views may not be the same as those of the Eraser programming team.
Before posting, please read the top 4 topics in the Eraser FAQ, which already provide many of the answers users need.
DavidHB
Eraser Wizard

Postby Joel » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:03 pm

Joel wrote:Eraser is open-source -- but it's only worthwhile being so if community feedback came along consistently and constructively. It's not too late to provide your constructive viewpoints -- rants and attacks do not help -- please do come forward with useful ideas and we would try to accommodate them, unless it runs against our design philosophies (mostly already outlined in the FAQ thread)

Hello imnotrich, I guess I should clarify my post.

When I was talking about rants and attacks, I wasn't specifically referring to you, but as a general reminder. My apologies if it seemed as though it was directed towards you; I don't think your initial post nor your second post were rants.

imnotrich wrote:And I'm not sure why pointing fingers at Windows for a problem Eraser is having makes sense, especially if - as you point out - Eraser has always been a Windows program. It's supposed to work WITH windows, not conflict with windows.
Well, we aren't exactly pointing fingers; we're just explaining what's going on. Eraser 5 didn't depend on the PKI infrastructure of Windows, Eraser 6 does for the safety of our users. Technically, the internet connection is to verify that certificates used to sign the program have not been revoked by the certification authority, as is possible when a developer who went through proper channels for identity verification etc turns out to be a malware author. It's a safety mechanism to ensure that code that runs is always trusted. Perhaps it may be bothering you, but in my opinion it's a rather important feature to have. In the event that the internet connection isn't available, the check is just skipped.

imnotrich wrote:Finally, I do hope you spend more time on user input. When you say "please do come forward with useful ideas and we would try to accommodate them, unless it runs against our design philosophies" you might just as well have said "we know what is best for our users, so we alone will make the decisions."
I was trying to qualify my statement, lest it be used as a blanket statement against us in future. Our design philosophies are relatively general and quite flexible. The intent of the qualification was to ensure that outrageous requests (such as those meant for one person alone, with little benefit to the rest) do not get implemented as a high priority task and the person suggesting holding us at ransom. My apologies once again for the misunderstanding.
Be sure to read the FAQ before posting. If you found this application useful, please contribute to Eraser's development.

I develop Eraser but I am not an employee of Heidi Computers Ltd. My views do not represent those of Heidi Computers Ltd.
Don't PM or Email me questions: they won't be answered any faster than on the forum and knowledge won't be accessible by all.
Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby Visitor » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:37 pm

From the FAQ

The confirmation box with user-selectable overwrite passes which may differ from case-to-case has been done away with. At least allow an option for those users who prefer to have it. This also served as a warning in case a user made a mistake when clicking on Eraser right-click option; currently there is none!
This will be dealt with in 6.2. However, the design of 6.0 is still sound as "defaults" are there for a reason. If the information that one deals with warrants 35-pass erasures all the time, you should be setting that as a default. If you think that you just want to get rid of file headers, use the First/Last 16KB erasure method. The idea is pick one default that works for all the files you deal with. Defaults should be chosen by the you (you have the ability to!) and adhered to for the majority of use cases (hence "Defaults")

Also this concern is raised in this forum topic several times and the answer always seems to be you "should" do it the way I (the author) thinks is the right way to do it. And a bit of lecturing going on about why defaults exist and so on. Is it accurate this long after the FAQ said "this will be dealt with in 6.2" or that in fact the decision is that the ability to select erasure type on the fly will never be returned?

The ability to select different methods was there for a reason. There are many user situations / security strategies that do not neatly fit into a fixed default setting, hence the ability to "select" erasure method.

Obviously it is perfectly legitimate for an author, particular one who is providing code freely, to impose his own doctrinal view about what people "should" do. But it would also be nice to know if this is a permanent philosophical decision or one that will be adjusted as indicated in the FAQ.

Most Important Question: are there any known issues with version 5.8 that strongly indicate it is no longer safe to use?
Visitor

Postby Joel » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:55 pm

6.2 has the feature implemented. It will not be backported to 6.0 because the minor versions are supposed to be compatible with each other. There are no weaknesses identified in 5.8, Eraser 6 and 5.8 use the same approach to erasure (in terms of broad strokes), only the exact implementation differs.

I think my original point still stands, though. There'll never be a situation where very user's wishes are taken into consideration, it would be natural for developers (open source or otherwise) to develop code as they wish. Just that in the case of proprietary code if their licensing model is that involving monetary gain, they have market forces to contend with. Generally, a balance must be met between configurability and ease of use. Eraser's now a lot more accessible than before (visibly seen by the number of questions and the type of questions raised in the forum), what may be useful to one may be confusing to others.
Be sure to read the FAQ before posting. If you found this application useful, please contribute to Eraser's development.

I develop Eraser but I am not an employee of Heidi Computers Ltd. My views do not represent those of Heidi Computers Ltd.
Don't PM or Email me questions: they won't be answered any faster than on the forum and knowledge won't be accessible by all.
Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby Davidb86 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:02 am

Running windows 8 64 Bit
Good work Joel I'll always support eraser in some fashion or another :) BUT
I went back to 5.8.8.
While I'm thinking about it,, Is the psuedorandom date erase method different from 6 and 5?
Issues with 6.
Horrible popups that I can't seem to turn off anywhere
Always in the task bar hogging my memory.
No Erase Secure move
5 is lighter on memory, easier to use, no popups, doesn't hang in the taskbar, unless you want a erase report stays pretty silent..On the right click recycle bin it's easy to modify reg settings so some or all the erasing options are turned off.
Unless the actual erasing methods have changed, making 6 better at erasing then I'm sticking with 5..
BTW Using active file recovery and a USB filled with flv and mp4's I erased files with psuedorandom date then free space and was unable to recover. All I saw was a bunch of random generated letters and numbers..
Davidb86

Postby rarebear » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:09 am

Eraser 6 is a complete mess. I've used it on numerous computers, numerous different versions of windows, every version of 6xx has proven to be nothing but unreliable and just plain bad. I just shake my head at how they let something that used to be so good go to such a waste. In before Joel says it works fine on his machine. I've seen nothing but complaints about version 6 about how unstable it is since it came out, I've never once seen anything positive said about version 6. It is really time for somebody else to take over this project. I hope Joel realizes this and finds somebody to take over who knows what they are doing.
rarebear

Postby garrett01 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:58 pm

We moved to Eraser 6 and .Net because volunteers could not be found for the C++ version. Currently Joel is busy in university and I'm limited in the amount of time I can spend on the project.
I do agree the .NET version is a lot less compact but that is the cost of progress.

>>every version of 6xx has proven to be nothing but unreliable and just plain bad.
Can you expand on this a little. V6 was written from scratch with features retrofitted with each new release.
garrett01

Re: Version 6 a downgrade rather than upgrade

Postby Just a Guy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:46 am

I also have to agree. I foolishly installed Eraser Version 6. My biggest problem with version 6 is that as far as I can tell, it REQUIRES an internet connection to start erasing files. When I set my firewall to block all internet traffic, eraser won't even load unless I allow internet traffic. Here is a link to the specific question being asked of "How can I use eraser without an internet connection?" (asked by William070707) The response from the developer did not even answer the question that was asked.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8648

If I turn my firewall on to allow all internet traffic, and then unplug my ethernet cable, eraser version 6 will not load, if I load it before I stop internet traffic and then unplug the ethernet cable, eraser will not erase anything, it just hangs there.

I re-installed version 5, and then used the Gutmann method to clean my machine of version 6. Good riddance!

So now I am asking again, Why does eraser version 6 REQUIRE an internet connection before it can erase any files???
Just a Guy

Postby garrett01 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:00 pm

This seems like a bug in the update checker. Could you download and try this version: http://eraser.heidi.ie/download.php?id=292
Here I can erase with no internet or router attached.

You should not have to make firewall changes as eraser will use standard browsing to determine if any updates are needed.
garrett01

Previous

Return to Eraser Support