Harddrive?

Please post your support questions here.

Moderators: Eraser DevTeam, Eraser Moderators

Harddrive?

Postby xxxzzz1 » Mon May 14, 2012 7:50 pm

When you Erase something with Eraser, does it completely remove the item from the entire Hard drive?
xxxzzz1

Re: Harddrive?

Postby DavidHB » Mon May 14, 2012 9:03 pm

Short answer: yes. Was there a reason for the question?

David
I am not an Eraser programmer, but a long-time user; my views may not be the same as those of the Eraser programming team.
Before posting, please read the top 4 topics in the Eraser FAQ, which already provide many of the answers users need.
DavidHB
Eraser Wizard

Postby xxxzzz1 » Tue May 15, 2012 10:55 pm

So by using eraser you also save space on the computer since it removes the item from the entire. Computer.
xxxzzz1

Postby Joel » Tue May 15, 2012 11:29 pm

Not really, you also reclaim space by deleting it. Eraser removes the remnants of the data that's left behind.
Be sure to read the FAQ before posting. If you found this application useful, please contribute to Eraser's development.

I develop Eraser but I am not an employee of Heidi Computers Ltd. My views do not represent those of Heidi Computers Ltd.
Don't PM or Email me questions: they won't be answered any faster than on the forum and knowledge won't be accessible by all.
Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby DavidHB » Wed May 16, 2012 10:58 am

In case Joel's 'not really' is confusing, his point is that you save the same amount of space by erasing it as by deleting it.

I detect some misunderstanding about what Eraser does. It does not make space any more 'empty' that it was previously. What it does, as Joel says, is overwrite the data that would be left in the space marked as free if a file were only deleted. The space is still free, but there is no more of it than if the file had been deleted.

This is a simple explanation. There are complications relating to Restore Points and the like, but I won't go into those.

David
I am not an Eraser programmer, but a long-time user; my views may not be the same as those of the Eraser programming team.
Before posting, please read the top 4 topics in the Eraser FAQ, which already provide many of the answers users need.
DavidHB
Eraser Wizard

Postby Joel » Sat May 19, 2012 2:17 am

Re-reading it, I get what you mean by confusing; thanks for clarifying.
Be sure to read the FAQ before posting. If you found this application useful, please contribute to Eraser's development.

I develop Eraser but I am not an employee of Heidi Computers Ltd. My views do not represent those of Heidi Computers Ltd.
Don't PM or Email me questions: they won't be answered any faster than on the forum and knowledge won't be accessible by all.
Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby xxxzzz1 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:46 pm

Thanks for the reply as I do online play through videos for youtube and the videos I produce remain on my computer and some of them can reach 1-2 GB's in size!!

So just say I made a video thats around 2 gigabytes in size and I erase that video file, I will reclaim the space completely that file took up on my hard drive right?

Only require a simple "Yes or No" answer please.
xxxzzz1

Postby Joel » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:55 am

Yes, but then why erase it? Deleting it would work just as well, if you are not concerned about the residue which remains on your disk.

And by residue I mean data that can be recovered by forensic analysis, not that it is accessible by default any more.

Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Return to Eraser Support