Portable version of Eraser?

Discuss proposed patches here.

Moderators: Eraser DevTeam, Eraser Moderators

Portable version of Eraser?

Postby edufear » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:29 am

Hello guys, I wanna suggest to make a portable version of this amazing tool. So I could add it to my AppsPortable pend-drive directory :]
Thanks!
edufear

Re: Portable version of Eraser?

Postby Joel » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:46 am

It's in the pipeline, but there are a few factors at work here. To make Eraser work better around Windows' obstacles to security, I have to make it more integrated with the Windows install. To make it work better for users, I have to make it portable.

So I'm in a situation where I have to balance both... so I think it'll take a few iterations to get this right.
Be sure to read the FAQ before posting. If you found this application useful, please contribute to Eraser's development.

I develop Eraser but I am not an employee of Heidi Computers Ltd. My views do not represent those of Heidi Computers Ltd.
Don't PM or Email me questions: they won't be answered any faster than on the forum and knowledge won't be accessible by all.
Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby pli » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:53 pm

today, when I tried to just copy all those Eraser 6.0.9.2343 files (including exe and all the dlls) to the virtual machine which has the .Net 3.5 installed. However when I ran, it is crashed with the following error:

Code: Select all
   CLR20r3
   Not available
   eraser.exe
   4eb4b872
   mscorlib
   4e1539fa
   349e
   System.IO.DirectoryNotFound

Does that mean that eraser is looking for some directories on startup? So it would mean current release of eraser is still not portable, right? Somehow I got the feeling from Joel's reply to one of my post, it is portable now although I need to play with .NET Security runtime configuration (mscorcfg.msc) which I am not sure. Any detailed insight on this is really appreciated.
pli

Postby Joel » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:45 pm

Did you copy the plugins folder?

If you run Eraser and all you get is a System.Runtime.SecurityException then that's where mscorcfg comes in. See MSDN.
Be sure to read the FAQ before posting. If you found this application useful, please contribute to Eraser's development.

I develop Eraser but I am not an employee of Heidi Computers Ltd. My views do not represent those of Heidi Computers Ltd.
Don't PM or Email me questions: they won't be answered any faster than on the forum and knowledge won't be accessible by all.
Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby pli » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:18 pm

Thanks Joel. After I copied the plugin folder, I am able to start the eraser 6.0. I haven't got the System.Runtime.SecurityException. By the way, I am running as admin.
pli

Postby Joel » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:40 pm

Then probably the .NET runtime is already configured to allow UNC paths. On a fresh install of Windows, this isn't allowed.

No problems there.

Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby pli » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:03 pm

Got it. Joe.

Just wonder if UNC path is not allowed, is current eraser installer changing configuration of .Net runtime to allow UNC path? For a portable version of Eraser 6.x, do you mean that you have to replace code where UNC path is used with some other path such as just dos Path?
pli

Postby Joel » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:55 pm

The Installer doesn't do anything to the .NET framework config. It's not recommended to install programs on UNC paths, anyway (especially not .NET assemblies) and it's more of a debugging option.

If there should be a portable Eraser 6, and if the user wants to run it off a network share, he'd have to configure it manually. I do note that .NET 4, which 6.2 is built against, doesn't seem to have the limitation.

Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby boozer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:49 am

boozer

Postby kuerten » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:34 pm

Is that version really legit? I really think a portable version would defeat the version of having a license.
Two For the Money Image
kuerten

Return to Eraser Programming