Control key to run tasks

Discuss proposed patches here.

Moderators: Eraser DevTeam, Eraser Moderators

Re: Control key to run tasks

Postby Joel » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:26 pm

Implemented in r2241.
Be sure to read the FAQ before posting. If you found this application useful, please contribute to Eraser's development.

I develop Eraser but I am not an employee of Heidi Computers Ltd. My views do not represent those of Heidi Computers Ltd.
Don't PM or Email me questions: they won't be answered any faster than on the forum and knowledge won't be accessible by all.
Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby joe935 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:12 pm

Thanks, Is it available for download and if so where can i download it from?
Don't Force it, Use a bigger hammer!
joe935

Postby Joel » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:27 pm

Get nightly builds, with the usual disclaimers about stability and stuff like that. It's on the Eraser Website's download page.
Be sure to read the FAQ before posting. If you found this application useful, please contribute to Eraser's development.

I develop Eraser but I am not an employee of Heidi Computers Ltd. My views do not represent those of Heidi Computers Ltd.
Don't PM or Email me questions: they won't be answered any faster than on the forum and knowledge won't be accessible by all.
Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby joe935 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:29 am

Just installed r2241 when i try to erase a file in windows explorer i get the attached error.
Also i see nothing in the help file about Hot Key usage.
Image1.jpg
joe935

Postby Joel » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:56 am

Help usually is last to be written, trunk builds are works-in-progress. I'll try the build myself later, I did some changes to the CLI which may be the cause.

Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby Joel » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:44 am

The shell context menu works fine just for me -- what file were you erasing?

Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby joe935 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:33 pm

I thought i had responded to your question a while ago.
The are just normal picture files with JPG extensions.
I have uninstalled Eraser for now.
My OS is win XP Pro
joe935

Postby joe935 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:14 pm

I reinstalled version 6.0.7.1893 and jpgs are being erased ok now.
joe935

Postby heath28m » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:25 am

I know this is relative to running tasks.. but I would like to state that I have used Eraser in three OSes.. since version 5..something. I have waited to try 6.0 versions.. for several reasons.. as I did have the first release of 6 installed.. yet reverted back to 5.8.6 and 5.8.7... So I was really surprised when I ran the program and found that absolutely nothing had changed as far as this area is concerned up to the 6.1 Betas..

My issue is that I use Eraser for everything and I rarely use the Recycle Bin for anything.. except shortcuts.. because mostly I had to watch that in previous versions.. if I just wanted the shortcut erased...Few other situations it was the thing to do ..

Point to all of what I am typing.. A HUGE amount of my time is spent using shortcut keys.. especially with a laptop... I navigate all Windows Versions with them.. all drives and all archives.. I also preform hundreds of file operations... YET... as of yet.. I cannot hit 'E' in version 6.. and trigger Eraser's confirmation window.. and then hit 'Y' to start Erasing and view that progress.. It can be gotten to when using it on a Folder of files... It is located in the top area of the Menu.. but because it is in a folder and no underlined letter is indicated for the Folder.. it triggers.. as an example Microsoft Paint.. for a BMP image.. You can only get there using a mouse or other device.. Then you get all of these notification bubbles... when it does...

I know this may sound like nothing to some of you.. but I used and preferred Eraser for many years because of this factor and how it applied to the ease of use.. especially when it came to the Context Menu setup.

I think really that an area in settings to customize this area in what we want included on the Context Menu and how we would want.. depending on our usage and preferences.. How this was implemented.. and possibly in addition to that... Configurable Shortcut Hotkeys... ( for combinations not used )... Hotkey/keyboard accessible dialogs ...and the ability to see the progress, with notifications window configurable options.. ( not having them for me would be much faster in operation and more efficient usability is really a step forward.. not the opposite.. )

Something like this could cut down on the amount of processing.. actions that need to be taking place to perform a delete or erasing operation within the file system.. Faster.. better end user accessibility.. and covering a wider demographic as far as customizing and configurations for a wider range of applications in which the program would be used... which varies from person to person..

I especially think its important.. being that many people who have used and would like to continue to use Eraser come from the computing field which extends far beyond using the mouse and a HUGE UI... with bothersome aspects for some which get in the way of moving forward with more actions and locations with an archive or file/data library...
heath28m

Postby DavidHB » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:28 am

I agree that shortcuts are useful for many people. You can always put a feature request for particular shortcuts in Trac. It would be good to know which shortcuts you would like implemented; the Ctrl+Alt+R shortcut to run a task has been implemented in the 6.1 development builds.

David
I am not an Eraser programmer, but a long-time user; my views may not be the same as those of the Eraser programming team.
Before posting, please read the top 4 topics in the Eraser FAQ, which already provide many of the answers users need.
DavidHB
Eraser Wizard

Postby heath28m » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:43 pm

Cool, I will put something together and use the 6.1 for a day or two .. and make some notes and do some thinking.. that way it can be something usable without to many obstacles not thought through.. :) :thumbsup:
heath28m

Previous

Return to Eraser Programming