Eraser Context Menus

Discuss proposed patches here.

Moderators: Eraser DevTeam, Eraser Moderators

Eraser Context Menus

Postby jblather » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:08 am

I have a machine with the old 5.x installed on it. When I right-click on a drive letter, it gives me only the option to erase unused space. It does not give me the option to erase the drive.

I like this behavior of 5.x - it prevents a gigantic mistake. If I want to erase the drive under 5.x, I select all the directories and files in the root of that drive and normally erase them. Or, I just format that drive then erase unused space. The advantage of erasing an entire drive using these methods is that it has several fail-safes, not just one or two.

Perhaps we could have a configuration option to remove the 'erase drive' menu items? It would be nice to have this for safety's sake.

Thank You!
jblather

Re: Feature request - removal of Erase Entire Drive menu ite

Postby DavidHB » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:07 pm

As you see, I have moved the topic here, as it is not a support request.

I agree that there is a discussion to be had about what context menu items should be included in future versions of Eraser, and I am sure Joel would welcome views. It is always possible to post a ticket in Trac, but in this case it might be useful to see if other forum users have views.

David
I am not an Eraser programmer, but a long-time user; my views may not be the same as those of the Eraser programming team.
Before posting, please read the top 4 topics in the Eraser FAQ, which already provide many of the answers users need.
DavidHB
Eraser Wizard

Postby jblather » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:12 am

Thank You!
jblather

Postby maddes » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:09 pm

Wanted to open a TRAC ticket for that same topic (but currently can not) as an enhancement with the following suggestion:
* Add options to the settings panel to control which entries are displayed on drives, folders and on files.

Example of the options matrix:
Code: Select all
                    Drive  Folder  File
Erase               [ ]    [X]     [X]
Erase on Restart    [ ]    [X]     [X]
Erase Unused space  [X]     -       -

This would be very useful. Especially on shared family PCs where your partner and your kids are not the most attentive persons.
Default could still be "all set", but would allow the user to configure it to their preferences.

Even when the context menu entries are removed, then still all tasks will be available through the Eraser application itself.

Kind regards
Maddes
Last edited by maddes on Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Not a member of the Eraser team. - Coder and experienced Windows user. - Eraser FAQ.
maddes

Postby maddes » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:17 pm

Additionally having system and user-separated context menu settings would be another possible feature for the context menu.
Imagine setting the Eraser context menu system default to only a reduced set of functions, e.g. no Erase on drives, while setting its full extension for the admin.

But I think this would be overkill and rarely used.

Maddes
Not a member of the Eraser team. - Coder and experienced Windows user. - Eraser FAQ.
maddes

Postby Joel » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:03 am

I think we need to combine the threads for this one... somehow this context menu thing is really causing a lot of polarisation :)
Be sure to read the FAQ before posting. If you found this application useful, please contribute to Eraser's development.

I develop Eraser but I am not an employee of Heidi Computers Ltd. My views do not represent those of Heidi Computers Ltd.
Don't PM or Email me questions: they won't be answered any faster than on the forum and knowledge won't be accessible by all.
Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Re: Eraser Context Menus

Postby maddes » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:01 pm

Yes, it is a highly biased topic. And there's no perfect solution, not even an optimal one.
Either you remove this feature to get rid of the discussion (nah), or make it as customizable as possible. That's why an option matrix can be very helpful, set your opinion as default and let the user modify it as he wants to.
Once established the discussion will turn down, as everybody will just do it as they want to.
A very nice example for this is WinRAR.

Maddes
maddes

Return to Eraser Programming