Does eraser has a non open source commerical license?

Discuss proposed patches here.

Moderators: Eraser DevTeam, Eraser Moderators

Does eraser has a non open source commerical license?

Postby pli » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:54 pm

We are looking for our license option here. Just wonder if eraser has a non open source commercial license other than the GNU General Public License.
pli

Re: Does eraser has a non open source commerical license?

Postby Joel » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:44 pm

Nope, sorry, we don't. We operate on a single license only.
Be sure to read the FAQ before posting. If you found this application useful, please contribute to Eraser's development.

I develop Eraser but I am not an employee of Heidi Computers Ltd. My views do not represent those of Heidi Computers Ltd.
Don't PM or Email me questions: they won't be answered any faster than on the forum and knowledge won't be accessible by all.
Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby pli » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:27 pm

Thanks a lot Joel, We will continue evaluating our options here. So basically I talked with our management team yesterday about the license choice here and they said that they were willing to consider paying one-time license fee here for closing source our solution with using eraser. If there is any possibility to create a dual license at your side, please let me know.
pli

Postby DavidHB » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:28 pm

What I don't know, and what would need to be checked, is whether the Eraser code can be simultaneously licensed for general release under the GPL license, and (to individuals and presumably for a fee) under another licence that removes the 'viral' effect of the GPL license. As I understand it, the LGPL license exists for this latter purpose.

Even if dual licensing is permitted and the Eraser Team think it appropriate to use it (and, please note, the Eraser Team in this context does not include me), they will need to ensure that such use is consistent with their obligations to third parties. For instance, Eraser makes extensive use of SourceForge, and SourceForge has, as part of its conditions, the stipulation that source code it hosts must be licensed on 'open source' terms. The LGPL does appear to be an acceptable license under the terms of this stipulation.

David
I am not an Eraser programmer, but a long-time user; my views may not be the same as those of the Eraser programming team.
Before posting, please read the top 4 topics in the Eraser FAQ, which already provide many of the answers users need.
DavidHB
Eraser Wizard

Postby pli » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:48 pm

hmm, thanks a lot David for the detailed explanation. It is complex than I thought :-)
pli

Nice

Postby steward15 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:23 am

Would you consider adding an optional "Are you sure you want to delete this file?" dialog so as to require a confirmation before deletion? In the best case, the confirmation dialog would be a user selectable option.
steward15

Re: Nice

Postby kuerten » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:44 pm

steward15 wrote:Would you consider adding an optional "Are you sure you want to delete this file?" dialog so as to require a confirmation before deletion? In the best case, the confirmation dialog would be a user selectable option.

Hi. I think this needs to be on another thread? Feature request or something similar.
Two For the Money Image
kuerten

Postby sampei » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:34 pm

DavidHB wrote:What I don't know, and what would need to be checked, is whether the Eraser code can be simultaneously licensed for general release under the GPL license, and (to individuals and presumably for a fee) under another licence that removes the 'viral' effect of the GPL license. As I understand it, the LGPL license exists for this latter purpose.

Even if dual licensing is permitted and the Eraser Team think it appropriate to use it (and, please note, the Eraser Team in this context does not include me), they will need to ensure that such use is consistent with their obligations to third parties. For instance, Eraser makes extensive use of SourceForge, and SourceForge has, as part of its conditions, the stipulation that source code it hosts must be licensed on 'open source' terms. The LGPL does appear to be an acceptable license under the terms of this stipulation.

David

Thanks for the explanation, I was also interested in a non open source agreement...
sampei

Return to Eraser Programming