Replace built-in shell Delete?

Discuss proposed patches here.

Moderators: Eraser DevTeam, Eraser Moderators

Replace built-in shell Delete?

Postby eraser__1 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:33 pm

Hi.

I'm wondering if there is a windows registry key or if an option can be added to eraser, that allows me to replace the built-in windows delete function with eraser (at least within the Explorer shell).

Basically I want to be able to highlight files and hit my Del key and it use eraser instead of using windows delete or recycle bin and then having to empty recycle bin or use the context menu options.

I don't delete files I want undeleted, so this would be ideal for set it and forget it security.

Thanks!

p.s. I dug through the windows registry looking for a key that maybe showed the path of the built in delete function...I was hoping there was a delete=cmd type key but it looks like it's most likely built into the kernel or a dll somewhere and would require the command to be hooked/intercepted maybe.
eraser__1

Re: Replace built-in shell Delete?

Postby Joel » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:14 pm

Unfortunately no, I don't think there is one. We think it's a good idea (to implement that), but it'll require hacking into Windows internals which I don't think we'd want to do due to the danger of messing vitals up.

Joel
Be sure to read the FAQ before posting. If you found this application useful, please contribute to Eraser's development.

I develop Eraser but I am not an employee of Heidi Computers Ltd. My views do not represent those of Heidi Computers Ltd.
Don't PM or Email me questions: they won't be answered any faster than on the forum and knowledge won't be accessible by all.
Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby eraser__1 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:43 pm

Maybe just hook the delete key (from the keyboard using windows API) instead of actually changing something internal.
eraser__1

Postby Overwriter » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:30 pm

I was rather hoping an Eraser “catch all” was going to be implemented into Eraser V6.
Want to help Eraser ? Read this. Found a bug in Eraser, please report it here. Eraser FAQ
Overwriter
Eraser DevTeam

Postby Joel » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:36 pm

eraser__1 wrote:Maybe just hook the delete key (from the keyboard using windows API) instead of actually changing something internal.
Then what happens if you press delete in Excel? If you press delete in Explorer, how will we know which file to delete and which are selected? These problems can be fixed, but the amount of effort put into it is tremendous, and it is not high on our priority list. We have other issues directly related to security to fix, unfortunately.

Even if they can be worked around, they are worked around using knowledge of Windows, which as of now I am still reluctant to do. This idea may never see the light of day.

You can Trac it, but don't expect anything.

Regards,
Joel
Be sure to read the FAQ before posting. If you found this application useful, please contribute to Eraser's development.

I develop Eraser but I am not an employee of Heidi Computers Ltd. My views do not represent those of Heidi Computers Ltd.
Don't PM or Email me questions: they won't be answered any faster than on the forum and knowledge won't be accessible by all.
Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby Overwriter » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:06 pm

Hi eraser__1

How about you delete things as normal and then erase your recycle bin ? The catch all method I mentioned (hopefully in V6) will not allow a user to delete their recycle bin but “encourage” them to erase it.

There are things with Eraser that we normal users have no idea of and I trust Joel to do his best taking these things into account, I suggest you do the same as me and let him do his thing !
Want to help Eraser ? Read this. Found a bug in Eraser, please report it here. Eraser FAQ
Overwriter
Eraser DevTeam

Postby Joel » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:57 am

Well yeah I guess I wasn't clear, I kept getting kicked out of the forum...

I don't want to implement it because it will involve us meddling with Windows internals which is risky (and a lot of reverse-engineering and research on our part). This may compromise on the reliability of Eraser (who wants to be associated with system crashes?) resulting in more support and more bug-hunting which will have to be repeated with every release of Windows.

Remember how when Vista first came put we had all these "stability" issues? They are more accurately described as "programming errors" by using undocumented behaviour. I avoid it completely like the plague as if Public APIs are not there we should not break into Windows and meddle with internals.

Joel

Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby Overwriter » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:11 am

Joel wrote:I kept getting kicked out of the forum...

That happens to me a lot here, it is a nightmare posting sometimes. :?
Overwriter
Eraser DevTeam

Postby Joel » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:03 pm

Totally. Anyway, I just want to put it on record that I like this idea, just that I don't see any reasonable way of implementing this short of digging into internals and risk breaking something... haha I guess this is the third time I'm saying it, in a different form...

Joel

Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby Joel » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:07 am

Oh, by the way, this has been tasked for the v6.1/6.2 timeframe, we'll look into it again then.

Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby ItsLife » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:17 pm

I was wondering if this feature (which I think would be great to have) is still being considered for version 6?
ItsLife

Postby Joel » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:30 am

Yep, will eventually be implemented.

Joel

Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby emphero » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:50 pm

eraser__1 wrote:Maybe just hook the delete key (from the keyboard using windows API) instead of actually changing something internal.

sounds very error-prone
emphero

Return to Eraser Programming