Eraser 6-rc4

Eraser updates will be posted to this forum.

Moderators: Eraser DevTeam, Eraser Moderators

Eraser 6-rc4

Postby Joel » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:58 pm

Hello,

I'm glad to announce the release of Eraser 6 Release Candidate 4. It contains fixes found during testing, mainly centred on usability.

Read the full announcement and download it from there.

Joel
Be sure to read the FAQ before posting. If you found this application useful, please contribute to Eraser's development.

I develop Eraser but I am not an employee of Heidi Computers Ltd. My views do not represent those of Heidi Computers Ltd.
Don't PM or Email me questions: they won't be answered any faster than on the forum and knowledge won't be accessible by all.
Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Re: Eraser 6-rc4

Postby jackjack » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:10 pm

Must fire up a VM and give i a spin, been back living in an OpenBSD world for a while, a bit out of touch with erasers progress. Good Work Joel et all.
jackjack

Postby Joel » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:39 am

Every part of Eraser needs .NET 3.5 so it is an installation prerequisite. Before the Eraser MSI runs the bootstrapper will ensure that your system has got .NET 3.5.

Joel
Be sure to read the FAQ before posting. If you found this application useful, please contribute to Eraser's development.

I develop Eraser but I am not an employee of Heidi Computers Ltd. My views do not represent those of Heidi Computers Ltd.
Don't PM or Email me questions: they won't be answered any faster than on the forum and knowledge won't be accessible by all.
Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby anson5 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:06 am

Does version 6 support UTF-8 or unicode in filenames? I can't find this in the changelog. Thank you.
anson5

Postby xx521xx » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:04 am

I haven't been keeping up with Eraser development for a while. So, I see that v6 is in the RC stage now. The announcement says that FAT erasures are not supported... does this mean all erase operations on FAT drives are unsupported, or only erasure of unused entries in the FAT itself? Do you think it'll be implemented someday in the future?

BTW, if it's only the unused FAT entries that are difficult to deal with, just a thought... FAT filesystems have a maximum number of files supported due to the fixed size of the FAT, right? I'm not a programmer, but do you think you could erase the unused entries by filling the drive with files until Windows throws an error while trying to allocate one?

Has v6 had any testing/development on the exFAT filesystem which MS is pushing (kind of) as a replacement for FAT12/16/32?
xx521xx

Postby Joel » Tue May 05, 2009 8:22 am

anson5 wrote:Does version 6 support UTF-8 or unicode in filenames? I can't find this in the changelog. Thank you.
Yes it is now supported. This is one of the most major improvements over v5. And the interface can also be localised now (currently only English available, 50% complete Dutch translation packaged)

xx521xx wrote:I haven't been keeping up with Eraser development for a while. So, I see that v6 is in the RC stage now. The announcement says that FAT erasures are not supported... does this mean all erase operations on FAT drives are unsupported, or only erasure of unused entries in the FAT itself? Do you think it'll be implemented someday in the future?
Only the FAT clean up thing which erases the old entries are not supported. This should be available in rc5 for public testing (it's an algorithm I devised based on the FAT structures)

xx521xx wrote:BTW, if it's only the unused FAT entries that are difficult to deal with, just a thought... FAT filesystems have a maximum number of files supported due to the fixed size of the FAT, right? I'm not a programmer, but do you think you could erase the unused entries by filling the drive with files until Windows throws an error while trying to allocate one?
It's a little more complex than that... haha.

xx521xx wrote:Has v6 had any testing/development on the exFAT filesystem which MS is pushing (kind of) as a replacement for FAT12/16/32?
Hmm no I don't use exFAT. Would you like to try it?

Regards,
Joel

Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Return to Eraser Update Alerts