[Feature Request] Streamlined Recycle Bin Erasing

Discuss proposed patches here.

Moderators: Eraser DevTeam, Eraser Moderators

The Eraser Explorer Context Menu

Postby Joel » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:22 pm

I think if one searches the forum for all things context menu, we've almost got the pre-World-War-II rhetoric. :P

Users are very polarised on this, to increase the functionality or to decrease the functionality offered by the context menu. Some want it minimalistic, others prefer to have the whole Eraser included in Explorer (trust me -- v5 did this, Eraser was completely loaded into Explorer when you right-click on anything.) I'd like to see all active users' views on this so that perhaps we can find a way forward for v6.1, which I'm planning to rewrite the context menu extension a bit.
Be sure to read the FAQ before posting. If you found this application useful, please contribute to Eraser's development.

I develop Eraser but I am not an employee of Heidi Computers Ltd. My views do not represent those of Heidi Computers Ltd.
Don't PM or Email me questions: they won't be answered any faster than on the forum and knowledge won't be accessible by all.
Joel
Eraser DevTeam

[Feature Request] Streamlined Recycle Bin Erasing

Postby esa1234 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:12 am

I gave it a good search before posting, but I couldn't find anything related to my request. Apologies if this has been asked before.

Basically, I tend to use the Recycle Bin (Win7x64) and erase files from there (Eraser 6.10.2284). I like to be able to use as few keystroke/mouse movements as possible. If I r-click on the recycle bin and hit 'e' followed by enter, a confirmation window comes up. My request is this: is it possible to add an option to remove the confirmation window (auto confirm) OR allowing the user to press 'y' for Yes or 'n' for No?

It's a very small thing, but this would negate having to move the mouse and select Yes. Sorry if this a bit a of a "roll your eyes" type of request.
Last edited by esa1234 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
esa1234

Re: [Feature Request] Streamlined Recycle Bin Erasing

Postby DavidHB » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:38 am

As one who asked for the confirmation window in the first place (because erasing is irreversible and therefore potentially dangerous), I have some reservations about this. Maybe an option that applied only to the Recycle Bin would not be unduly harmful. But, in general, I believe that the design of Eraser should err on the side of caution.

David
I am not an Eraser programmer, but a long-time user; my views may not be the same as those of the Eraser programming team.
Before posting, please read the top 4 topics in the Eraser FAQ, which already provide many of the answers users need.
DavidHB
Eraser Wizard

Postby esa1234 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:15 am

I agree completely that eraser should exist as a tool with safeguards. I'm not talking about doing away with the confirmation window. I'm only speaking of allowing the user to accept or reject the erase with a keystroke rather than a mouse click. I feel that the existing system works well enough, and I understand why it was implemented as it stands; however, I also believe that adding the ability to confirm the erase function with a specific keystroke (Y or N) does very little to affect the user's actual intent. Whether a mouse click or a keystroke, the confirmation window would still require explicit instruction to continue with the erase.

At least that's my opinion. :wink:
esa1234

Postby DavidHB » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:20 pm

Sorry, I should have read your earlier post more carefully. I think your point is entirely fair; keystroke confirmation would be a good idea, and it is usually fairly easy to implement.

David
I am not an Eraser programmer, but a long-time user; my views may not be the same as those of the Eraser programming team.
Before posting, please read the top 4 topics in the Eraser FAQ, which already provide many of the answers users need.
DavidHB
Eraser Wizard

Postby Joel » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:01 am

Okay, please create a ticket in Trac for this and mark it as an enhancement.
Be sure to read the FAQ before posting. If you found this application useful, please contribute to Eraser's development.

I develop Eraser but I am not an employee of Heidi Computers Ltd. My views do not represent those of Heidi Computers Ltd.
Don't PM or Email me questions: they won't be answered any faster than on the forum and knowledge won't be accessible by all.
Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby DavidHB » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:47 pm

Ticket #390.

David
DavidHB
Eraser Wizard

Return to Eraser Programming