[enhancement] Better text for "British HMG IS5 (Baseline)...

Discuss proposed patches here.

Moderators: Eraser DevTeam, Eraser Moderators

[enhancement] Better text for "British HMG IS5 (Baseline)...

Postby maddes » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:33 pm

Enhance text for "British HMG IS5 (Baseline) (1 pass)" to "... (1 pass w/ zeros)"

This erasure method is highly important for Virtual Machines, which normally optimze their virtual disks if data/sectors are all zero.
Although it is listed in the documentation most people will test out Eraser without reading all the docs, and may reject Eraser due to a false "missing feature".
Also it is hard to remember what the correct erasure method was, when you use it only once in a while.

Kind regards
Maddes

P.S:: Posted as a forum topic due to TRAC issues with sending mails.
Not a member of the Eraser team. - Coder and experienced Windows user. - Eraser FAQ.
maddes

Re: [enhancement] Better text for "British HMG IS5 (Baseline

Postby DavidHB » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:06 am

This is a good point. Perhaps what would be really nice would be a tooltip for each method, with a summary description, as that could be a bit longer than the entry in the list.

David
I am not an Eraser programmer, but a long-time user; my views may not be the same as those of the Eraser programming team.
Before posting, please read the top 4 topics in the Eraser FAQ, which already provide many of the answers users need.
DavidHB
Eraser Wizard

Postby Joel » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:02 am

I think Overwriter raised a similar point a few years ago, but concluded that it would not make sense as not all passes are so clear-cut (such as the first/last 16KB erasure).
Be sure to read the FAQ before posting. If you found this application useful, please contribute to Eraser's development.

I develop Eraser but I am not an employee of Heidi Computers Ltd. My views do not represent those of Heidi Computers Ltd.
Don't PM or Email me questions: they won't be answered any faster than on the forum and knowledge won't be accessible by all.
Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby maddes » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:56 pm

My suggestion was to enhance the description for this method only.

About David's idea:
Tooltips for methods could be supported generally, but only used where it makes sense.
Maybe multi-line tooltips would help to explain the methods much better.
Not a member of the Eraser team. - Coder and experienced Windows user. - Eraser FAQ.
maddes

Postby Joel » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:47 pm

I prefer a more general approach and not just for this case. Perhaps David can suggest the longer descriptions for each of the erasure methods?
Be sure to read the FAQ before posting. If you found this application useful, please contribute to Eraser's development.

I develop Eraser but I am not an employee of Heidi Computers Ltd. My views do not represent those of Heidi Computers Ltd.
Don't PM or Email me questions: they won't be answered any faster than on the forum and knowledge won't be accessible by all.
Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby DavidHB » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:18 pm

Joel wrote:Perhaps David can suggest the longer descriptions for each of the erasure methods?

I'll have a go.

David
I am not an Eraser programmer, but a long-time user; my views may not be the same as those of the Eraser programming team.
Before posting, please read the top 4 topics in the Eraser FAQ, which already provide many of the answers users need.
DavidHB
Eraser Wizard

Return to Eraser Programming