web history deletion

Discuss proposed patches here.

Moderators: Eraser DevTeam, Eraser Moderators

web history deletion

Postby intellibis » Sun May 08, 2011 8:24 am

is there a feature that will automatically delete the web browing history/cache/cookies etc...
intellibis

Re: web history deletion

Postby DavidHB » Sun May 08, 2011 2:48 pm

Sadly, no. Of course, you can create a task to do this (and I do), but the best free tool currently available for this purpose, to my knowledge, is CCleaner, which, in its current version, has an option to overwrite what it deletes.

One of the plans for Eraser 6.2 is to develop a series of plugins that will allow 'one button' routine cleaning of web clutter etc. This would make Eraser as easy to use as CCleaner, as well as being more flexible, more transparent and more verifiable, which it currently is.

David
I am not an Eraser programmer, but a long-time user; my views may not be the same as those of the Eraser programming team.
Before posting, please read the top 4 topics in the Eraser FAQ, which already provide many of the answers users need.
DavidHB
Eraser Wizard

Postby intellibis » Sun May 08, 2011 5:02 pm

thats not a hard thing to do... I wonder why they haven't done it already.... hrm well I'm going to play with the code and add that feature... if anyone has a jump start on it that would be great! its just going to be a detection/condition statement and a task execution. I cant imagine its a hard thing to add. well like i said anyone that is working on this that wants to collaborate please hit me up.
intellibis

Postby DavidHB » Sun May 08, 2011 7:48 pm

intellibis wrote: I wonder why they haven't done it already.... hrm well I'm going to play with the code and add that feature...

There is no 'they', there's only Joel. And, for many months now, he's been caught up in the requirements of his job and his continuing education. That, for him unavoidable, situation will not, unfortunately, change for a while. :(

If you do try something, I'd suggest that you implement it as a plugin. There will be issues with code validation, but hopefully Joel can find the time to advise on those. If you decide to do something, please let us know in the Programming Forum.

David
I am not an Eraser programmer, but a long-time user; my views may not be the same as those of the Eraser programming team.
Before posting, please read the top 4 topics in the Eraser FAQ, which already provide many of the answers users need.
DavidHB
Eraser Wizard

Postby intellibis » Sun May 08, 2011 8:02 pm

what do you mean there will be issues with code validation? I kinda figured on doing a plugin but I have yet to dive into this app yet... is the source code found on sourceforge.net complete? meaning can I download it and recompile to a stable version or is there anything missing? Ive worked on apps before from sourceforge and what you download sometimes is not complete...
intellibis

Postby DavidHB » Mon May 09, 2011 9:44 am

intellibis wrote:what do you mean there will be issues with code validation?

I should have said 'may' rather than 'will'. Eraser uses Windows Root Certificates to validate plugins (rogue plugins in an app such as Eraser could be seriously destructive), and I'm not sure how this is implemented so that other contributors can provide new plugins. Obviously, if this were possible with appropriate security still in place, that would be a very good thing.
intellibis wrote:is the source code found on sourceforge.net complete? meaning can I download it and recompile to a stable version or is there anything missing? Ive worked on apps before from sourceforge and what you download sometimes is not complete...

Yes, as far as I know (only Joel can confirm), it's all there. Joel is still using VS 2008, so, if you want to compile with VS 2010, you may need to change some things. But that's outside my area of knowledge. Incidentally, Eraser is written in C#.

David
DavidHB
Eraser Wizard

Postby Joel » Fri May 13, 2011 11:26 pm

I've moved this to the Programming forum, where this really should be. I'm glad to see there's some interest on this issue, I can most definitely provide the guidance and review needed for such a commit, however I must apologise for that being all that I can do for now (and even so, with great latency.)

You'll need to check out the Eraser 6.2 branch. That has the necessary changes to support this feature. Eraser 6.0 is a bit too "hardcoded" in the sense that only the defined erasure targets can be used and plugins cannot define new types. Create a new Erasure Target (see Eraser.Manager for a sample): for a start, you can create it in a separate plugin (Call it Eraser.Cleaner or something.) Place the output assembly in the Plugins folder beside Eraser.exe; you'll eventually need to sign the plugin; however during debugging you can still force Eraser to load the plugin at start up by checking the appropriate entry in the Settings page (under the Plugins section.)

Please submit patches, or respond if you have queries. Thanks again.
Be sure to read the FAQ before posting. If you found this application useful, please contribute to Eraser's development.

I develop Eraser but I am not an employee of Heidi Computers Ltd. My views do not represent those of Heidi Computers Ltd.
Don't PM or Email me questions: they won't be answered any faster than on the forum and knowledge won't be accessible by all.
Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Return to Eraser Programming