Installing 6.0.8 and 5.8.8 on same computer

Please post your support questions here.

Moderators: Eraser DevTeam, Eraser Moderators

Installing 6.0.8 and 5.8.8 on same computer

Postby csdarknightcs » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:17 pm

I have been using Eraser for years, and love it. I tried installing a newer version a short while back, and didn't care for a change that I found (don't recall the exact change, but I seem to think it may have been the ability to rt-click a particular folder and erase the entire folder and contents, or possibly just rt-click a file and erase, just do not remember for sure the problem). I uninstalled the newer version, and re-installed 5.8.8 which I really like. I would like to try 6.0.8, since it is the latest version, but do not want to remove 5.8.8 until I am sure that I will be happy with 6.0.8. Is it possible to have both on the same installation of Windows XP Pro (sp3)? I figured I could choose a different install location, but was not sure about the registry changes which I cannot control.

I have already looked at the FAQ and common questions, and found nothing related to this. Please enlighten me.
csdarknightcs

Re: Installing 6.0.8 and 5.8.8 on same computer

Postby GregM » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:55 pm

You might give the 6.0.8 version a try by temporarily installing it in virtual mode. After testing it you reboot the computer, the installation disappears, and if you were satisfied with it you can install in normal mode.

I use the free Returnil 2008. http://www.brothersoft.com/returnil-virtual-system-2008-personal-215975.html
GregM

Re: Installing 6.0.8 and 5.8.8 on same computer

Postby DavidHB » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:28 pm

csdarknightcs wrote:Is it possible to have both on the same installation of Windows XP Pro (sp3)? I figured I could choose a different install location, but was not sure about the registry changes which I cannot control.

The answer is no; Versions 5.x and 6.x cannot coexist on the same machine. Possibly on separate virtual machines, but I haven't tried that.

David
I am not an Eraser programmer, but a long-time user; my views may not be the same as those of the Eraser programming team.
Before posting, please read the top 4 topics in the Eraser FAQ, which already provide many of the answers users need.
DavidHB
Eraser Wizard

Return to Eraser Support