Discuss proposed patches here.

Moderators: Eraser DevTeam, Eraser Moderators

Additional Options

Postby PhilD » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:54 pm

Would it be possible to add two extra items to Erasers right click sub menu

Regular Delete - moves the file/folder to recycle bin - with no overwriting
Permanent Delete - deletes the file/folder with no overwriting

Advantage : provides all forms of delete in the one place
Implementation : include a couple of check boxes in the settings to make them selectable
PhilD

Re: Additional Options

Postby Joel » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:16 pm

The normal delete in the context menu is your "regular delete". Press shift when clicking that same menu item to achieve the "permanent delete."
Be sure to read the FAQ before posting. If you found this application useful, please contribute to Eraser's development.

I develop Eraser but I am not an employee of Heidi Computers Ltd. My views do not represent those of Heidi Computers Ltd.
Don't PM or Email me questions: they won't be answered any faster than on the forum and knowledge won't be accessible by all.
Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby PhilD » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:07 am

It was just an idea, I sometimes find it convenient to use the context menu and arrow keys with my right thumb & middle finger- it doesn't matter
PhilD

Postby Joel » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:21 am

Then wouldn't it be faster to just hit the delete key? :?
Be sure to read the FAQ before posting. If you found this application useful, please contribute to Eraser's development.

I develop Eraser but I am not an employee of Heidi Computers Ltd. My views do not represent those of Heidi Computers Ltd.
Don't PM or Email me questions: they won't be answered any faster than on the forum and knowledge won't be accessible by all.
Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby Stay_Foolish » Tue May 22, 2012 3:12 pm

Hi,

Great work..

I have few questions,

1. Does eraser rewrite MFT ? Any plans on it?
2. I saw option to free unused space and MFT cleaning as same options . Can't it be done seperate? Only MFT cleaning?
3. After freeing unused free space i see lot of 0 kb files. But when i do it with Active@ kill disk s/w i see nonthing in deleted file history. Whats the difference between the both?

Used Eraser its great on result.

/Thanks
Stay_Foolish

Postby DavidHB » Tue May 22, 2012 8:07 pm

Stay_Foolish wrote:1. Does eraser rewrite MFT ? Any plans on it?
2. I saw option to free unused space and MFT cleaning as same options . Can't it be done separate? Only MFT cleaning?

MFT erasing is currently only done as part of a free space erase. My recollection (I haven't checked Trac) is that Joel accepted a previous user suggestion to add this facility in a future release. All he now has to do is write the change, and he has a lot on his plate. But as the basics of the feature already exist, I would not have thought that the change would be too hard to implement.

Stay_Foolish wrote:3. After freeing unused free space i see lot of 0 kb files. But when i do it with Active@ kill disk s/w i see nothing in deleted file history. What's the difference between the both?

Probably not a lot. Most likely it's the way that your recovery software sees the files used for overwriting.

Stay_Foolish wrote:Used Eraser its great on result.

and that's the main thing.

David
I am not an Eraser programmer, but a long-time user; my views may not be the same as those of the Eraser programming team.
Before posting, please read the top 4 topics in the Eraser FAQ, which already provide many of the answers users need.
DavidHB
Eraser Wizard

Postby Stay_Foolish » Wed May 23, 2012 1:07 am

Hi,

can i enable only MFT cleaning in the ver 5.x?
how is possible to do it in the source code?

Thanks
Stay_Foolish

Postby Joel » Wed May 23, 2012 3:20 am

If you'd like, please do so. The UI doesn't have an option for that.

Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby Stay_Foolish » Wed May 23, 2012 4:45 am

Hi,

Thanks joel.

How can acheive it in the source code? which API should be called in the dll for only MFT cleaning?Any help on it

Cleaning only MFT unused records, will it clean the resuide of the already deleted files?
I tried using Active@killdisk only MFT/root area cleaning its fast and removes all deleted files residue. Will the same possible with ERASER MFT cleaning?
Thanks
Stay_Foolish

Postby Joel » Wed May 23, 2012 11:07 am

Sorry, you're pretty much on your own for this one. I've not touched any v5 code for years and so I can't remember any useful amount of information on that.

How good Eraser's MFT cleaning would be dependent on how you modify the code. v5 doesn't support your scenario as it stands.

Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby Stay_Foolish » Wed May 23, 2012 11:21 am

Hi,

Thanks for the response. How about achieving it in the latest source-code.?
Stay_Foolish

Postby Joel » Wed May 23, 2012 11:32 am

You'd probably want to look at the DefaultPlugins project. The unused space erasure code is there.

Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Return to Eraser Programming