Eraser 5.85 Beta 5

Eraser updates will be posted to this forum.

Moderators: Eraser DevTeam, Eraser Moderators

Eraser 5.85 Beta 5

Postby Joel » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:05 am

As per usual about the Beta.

x86: http://eraser.sourceforge.net/Eraser585Beta5_x86.exe
x64: http://eraser.sourceforge.net/Eraser585Beta5_x64.exe

Bugs fixed:
  • Fixed the error message when performing a random erase of the recycle bin
  • Add the number of passes to the Recycle bin context menu
  • Fixed the infinite loop when erasing files on restart
Thanks,
Joel
Be sure to read the FAQ before posting. If you found this application useful, please contribute to Eraser's development.

I develop Eraser but I am not an employee of Heidi Computers Ltd. My views do not represent those of Heidi Computers Ltd.
Don't PM or Email me questions: they won't be answered any faster than on the forum and knowledge won't be accessible by all.
Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby jackjack » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:15 am

Thank you so much, you are doing sterling work.
jackjack

Postby Overwriter » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:23 am

Thank you Joel I am testing now !!!!!!! :lol:

We are down to only 8 “confirmed” posts in the bugs section now and some of those are almost fixed or questionable !!!!!! :D
Want to help Eraser ? Read this. Found a bug in Eraser, please report it here. Eraser FAQ
Overwriter
Eraser DevTeam

Postby Overwriter » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:49 pm

I'll tell you what Joel, I think you should have one last look at all the confirmed but not resolved threads in the bugs section and decide if they need fixing. Eraser 5X is basically bug free !!! :D

I haven’t found anything wrong yet !

Amazing in less than 2 weeks ! :shock:

Bug free !
:lol:
Want to help Eraser ? Read this. Found a bug in Eraser, please report it here. Eraser FAQ
Overwriter
Eraser DevTeam

Postby Joel » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:09 am

Hopefully..
Be sure to read the FAQ before posting. If you found this application useful, please contribute to Eraser's development.

I develop Eraser but I am not an employee of Heidi Computers Ltd. My views do not represent those of Heidi Computers Ltd.
Don't PM or Email me questions: they won't be answered any faster than on the forum and knowledge won't be accessible by all.
Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby Overwriter » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:20 am

Joel wrote:Hopefully..

There’s no hopefully about it, it works !!!

Is there any chance of fitting a couple of feature requests into 5X before abandoning it to work on V6 ?

I only ask as you seem to be able to add features so quick that it might not actually take you long but it would make a huge difference to me and a couple of other people I know.

If you don’t mind could you make it so Eraser could wipe an entire attached drive physically not logically ?

Thanks.
:wink:
Overwriter
Eraser DevTeam

Postby Joel » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:25 am

As in, dismount the drive and heck about NTFS and just erase the drive clean?

Sounds dangerous... I have an idea in my head but I doubt that sounds testable (I got no drive to sacrifice!)

Joel

Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby Overwriter » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:43 am

I mean like overwrite the entire drive like I can with WinHex.

Say you plug in a USB attached hard drive or perhaps a flash drive, it would be cool to be able to totally wipe them not at the file system level but hit every sector on the drive like DBAN does. (Note I don’t mean the C drive local disk).

I believe it was a popular feature request some time ago.
Overwriter
Eraser DevTeam

Postby Joel » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:46 am

No. That will not happen. Windows will lock the disk. You can't even run chkdsk on C: when Windows is running how do you expect Eraser to wipe the disk clean?

Joel

Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby Overwriter » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:51 am

Sorry I think you misunderstood me.

Overwriter wrote:(Note I don’t mean the C drive local disk).
Overwriter
Eraser DevTeam

Postby jackjack » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:16 am

Joel wrote:Sounds dangerous... I have an idea in my head but I doubt that sounds testable (I got no drive to sacrifice!)

I am happy to do any destructive tests needed. I've set up a VM windows desktop for testing
jackjack

Postby Overwriter » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:30 am

I can also do destructive tests. :D

Jackjack I think you know what I am trying to explain, can you write this request better than me ? I don’t know how to word it ! :?
Overwriter
Eraser DevTeam

Postby jackjack » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:22 am

It makes sense to me. But let me try.

Overwiter wants to be able to attach an external drive to a running windows system that has eraser installed. Using this live system he wants to be able to be able to run a DBan like erase of the whole external HDD rather than just the partition wipe that eraser is capable of at the moment.

While I can see where Joel is coming from in thinking that Windows locks the drive, it must be doable, taking into account that truecrypt is able to un-mount and encrypt a whole disk device which is effectively the same thing.

OSX is also capable of this with its disk utility tool. You can chose to wipe the whole drive or partition, if you chose the former it unmounts it and wipes the whole drive

For what it's worth, this would be a fantastic feature as I would no longer be reliant on needing a spare machine to wipe disks.
jackjack

Postby Joel » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:41 am

Remember TrueCrypt is a fle system driver and can do that because it is running as SYSTEM (not as your user name). I reckon we can do that... but probably maybe only for v6, unfortunately. I don't believe users can just dismount drives (even so, I don't know the Windows API call for it.. yet.)

Joel

Joel
Eraser DevTeam

Postby Overwriter » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:13 pm

Thanks jackjack, I just had a mental block and I didn’t know how to write that out !

Joel, I use a program called WinHex that can mount an attached external drive in “physical” mode and WinHex is portable ! This then enables me to write to every sector of the drive. Does this give you any clues as to how they are doing it ?

Thanks guys.
Overwriter
Eraser DevTeam

Next

Return to Eraser Update Alerts