Purge ghost entries in the FAT
The only product I am aware of that will remove ghost entries in the FAT is "Directory Snoop" at Briggs Softworks http://www.briggsoft.com/dsnoop.htm It is shareware but worth it.
That is kind of drastic. Have you tried the following:
1. Close all open applications.
2. Clearing ALL of your temp folders.
3. Disable your screensaver.
4. Perform a defrag of all your drives.
5. Reboot when finished. (Very important)
Now see if things have improved.
Thanks for the input; however, I am not a C programmer. I looked at the C source code and it looked like spaghetti to me. I was hoping someone from the support staff might have an example on their hard drive they would be willingto part with.