200 gig HD now 130 :(

A

Anonymous

:( SOB

Hi

I ran DBAN the other night and after 30 mins or so we had a power cut, so the process didnt finish. So I did a reformat and found that my hard drive had been reduced by 70 gig.

Now I dont know any technical info about HD'S . So know techy replys please.

Do I have to run DBAN again to get my full storage back?? Or am I goosed.

AMD 64 3200
WINXP PRO

HD:WDC WD2000LB-00EDA0.

IF ANY OF THAT HELPS

The Microsoft Windows installation media that you are using only has ATA-5 support, which has a 128 gig limit. Read:

KB305098 for Windows 2000
KB303013 for Windows XP

You must have ATA-6 support to use all of the 200 gig disk. The solution is to reinstall with Windows 2000 SP4 media or Windows XP SP1 media. If you do not have recent Microsoft Windows media, then google for "windows slipstream install" to get instructions about how to create it.

Alternatively, you can install to a 128 gig partition, apply the service pack that provides 48-bit access, and then enlarge the filesystem afterwards.

After using Boot and Nuke you should have used the Western Digital Installation Tutorial in the Windows version of the Data Lifeguards Tools bootable floppy program to setup your hard drive larger than 137 GB without a controller card. Intel offers drivers for certain chipsets for BIOS support for hard drives over 137 GB. That's why you "lost" the space. The Data Lifeguards Tools will add a dynamic disk overlay to your hard drive to do this (let your PC "see" the 200 GB.)

Back