computer is dead after using Eraser 5.7

gisbi

Hello,
i habe an old pentium II, 400 MHZ Computer which was running with
Windows 98. No i erased the disk with Eraser 5.7.
I was using the bootdisk version and the "dod" erase utility.
After this i tried to boot the computer and get the message
"system disk error" or similar to this.
So everything seems OK, but now with the second and also the next boots i always get a complete dark monitor !
I have tried a new monitor and also a new grafic card.
But for me it seems that Eraser 5.7 has destroyed completely my
computer.

gisbi

It sounds like you've completely erased your hard drive.

Your computer will not boot up because you have erased the hard drive, which includes the operating system.

Yes i wanted to erase my hard disk, but after this it should at least start the BIOS and see how much memory i have and the cpu type and things like this, but i see completely nothing.
i have also put out the bios battery from the computer for a while,
because i have read that myabe this helps, but it has no effect.

gisbi said:
Yes i wanted to erase my hard disk, but after this it should at least start the BIOS and see how much memory i have and the cpu type and things like this, but i see completely nothing.
i have also put out the bios battery from the computer for a while,
because i have read that myabe this helps, but it has no effect.

To say the least, this seems odd. Have you tried booting with a Windows CD in the drive, to see what happens when you have a bootable disk available to the system?

I've run DBAN before and successfully wiped a drive, and it didn't touch the BIOS. I'm not even sure how it would go about damaging the BIOS.

Yes for shure i have used to boot with a windows CD or to install with
a windows CD (and also with linux).
But in every times i see completely nothing !
I have also read some other forums in the internet and found that
this situation was not my own situation !
Sometimes eraser seems to delete everything.
Sometimes it should help if you remove the bios battery for a while.

I will never use eraser again !

I'd be interested in seeing further study on what may have happened here or in other cases, to find out if this is actually something DBAN did (the program actually used when Eraser is set to wipe the drive) or some sort of side-effect on certain systems when the drive is wiped.

I can only speak for myself: I've never had this problem. Wiping the drive and wiping the BIOS are two completely different things, and it's hard for me to see how a program designed to do one would accidently do the other.

Back