eraser win7 - creating random c:\ directories?

shiv

Since I've installed eraser, I've seen a couple of instances of large random named directories being created in the root of c:\ , such as c:\sawer8729349ykh3oi57!!@$Yaiuy@~ . I've also seen errors at times from explorer.exe with fail to open these directories, and explorer holding handles open to these directories when viewing in procmon.

Is this eraser doing this or should I be looking for some other kind of malware?

Thanks

Eraser is doing this. The directories should be deleted automatically when Eraser completes its task. If this doesn't happen for some reason, you should delete (not erase) the directories to recover the space they are occupying.

David

Awesome. Thanks for the reply. It was a good guess but it is hard to narrow it down without going through the source code.

shiv said:
... it is hard to narrow it down without going through the source code.
... though it is fully documented in the FAQ ... :)

David

I can confirm this bug. If you have files in a subdirectory like say c:\temp\scratch\sub\01 and you erase the entire subdirectory scratch, all the files are erased but the subdirectories still remain so you have to manually delete subdirectory scratch and all directories under it. Sometimes the lowers subdirectory will be renamed with random chars

When will it be fixed?

The problem you describe cannot be fixed, because it is inherent in the way the NTFS file system holds references to lower level files and folders. You will find that the data is overwritten, and cannot be recovered, but references to the file names remain. The only solution, as you have discovered, is to erase (and then, if need be, re-create) the highest possible level folder to remove the downward references.

David

i've tried other file shredding software. I found one where you can easily right click > shred on a folder and it successfully shreds the files and the folders and yes i have a NTFS hard drive. Sometimes there is an abort retry fail window but press retry and it works.

The only problem I have with that software is the program window remains visible after shredding. So what you do is right click > shred on the folder, the program window comes up, click on the "exit program when finished" button and click on the "start" button. Eraser automatically closes the window and stays in the system tray after shredding

There will be an option in the next version of Eraser not to have the background process run on startup. If you don't like the running process (which is not very demanding on resources), you can right click on the tray icon and select 'Exit'

David

having eraser in the background/system tray is not a problem for me. The problem of the other program which eraser does not have is after it shreds, the window remains open unless you specify it to close after shredding which you have to do every time you shred files

the problem which eraser has and which the other program does not have is the inability to shred directories

vmaldia said:
the problem which eraser has and which the other program does not have is the inability to shred directories
Well, it erases directories perfectly well for me. What is your specific problem? It would be helpful if you could describe what you did step by step, so that we can make sure we are responding correctly.

As I said in response to your earlier post, the fact that a higher level folder can hold references to files and folders that have been erased is a function of the file system. The folders referred to will themselves have been completely erased.

David

example, c:\temp\A then in subdir A there are several files. I just right clicked A > eraser >erase. If I do that, the files inside are gone but subdirectory A remains

I am using win 7 64 bit and my HD is formatted for NTFS

There is probably a permissions issue with the A sub-directory. I followed exactly your steps and the A folder was erased.

Is there a log for this task? If that question does not make sense, please go to the FAQ (link below) topic 'Getting to know Eraser 6', which explains how to read the log. If there is a log containing error messages referencing permissions issues, try running Eraser as Administrator (described in the same post). In fact, you could try that option in any case.

David

I get your drift -- this is an oversight on my part. Eraser 6 has a "Delete folder if empty" checkbox but that does not specify how to deal with empty subfolders... I'll look into it, thanks for reporting.

Joel said:
I get your drift -- this is an oversight on my part. Eraser 6 has a "Delete folder if empty" checkbox but that does not specify how to deal with empty subfolders... I'll look into it, thanks for reporting.

hope you solve the problem

Back