Help! I think that Eraser has corrupted my NTVDM.EXE

rd

Most things on my PC other than internet will not work now. Office will not open, etc. Also, SYMANTEC apps will not work. Restore is not an option for me. Any suggestions?

rd said:
Most things on my PC other than internet will not work now. Office will not open, etc. Also, SYMANTEC apps will not work. Restore is not an option for me. Any suggestions?

Exactly what did you do?

Regards,

jberaser

Another first and last KB issue

Yes, I suspect it is. I don't like the sound of your "another". What can I do?

Re: Another first and last KB issue

rd said:
Yes, I suspect it is. I don't like the sound of your "another". What can I do?

Can you explain exactly what you did before experiencing your problem please ?

I did select the first/last 2kb option, because I was looking for something quicker. Like I said, I can't restore or reformat because I don't have those privileges.

When the errors first started happening I tried some first aid, replacing files that did not work one at a time. I had boot problems at first, with multiple DOS windows showing that files were trying to load or run or were supposed to but were hanging up. I copied files from other computers and replaced the non-functioning ones on my computer, and I had some luck with that. Until I got to the ntvdm.exe file, which seems to run a lot of programs. I have not been able to replace it because it always seems to be in use. I don't have access to any safe modes. I believe that the corrupt ntvdm.exe is at the root of all of my problems & that replacing it will solve most.

I have run registry correctors but there is no change. Is there a trick or a process for replacing the ntvdm.exe file? I am reluctant to call any tech people because they will probably have a problem with me installing eraser on my pc.

I appreciate everyone's time.

Also, i read the string, and it sounds familiar. but he was not specific about the fix and seemed to cut to the chase with reformatting. I have also not even been able to uninstall eraser.

rd said:
I did select the first/last 2kb option, because I was looking for something quicker. Like I said, I can't restore or reformat because I don't have those privileges.

When the errors first started happening I tried some first aid, replacing files that did not work one at a time. I had boot problems at first, with multiple DOS windows showing that files were trying to load or run or were supposed to but were hanging up. I copied files from other computers and replaced the non-functioning ones on my computer, and I had some luck with that. Until I got to the ntvdm.exe file, which seems to run a lot of programs. I have not been able to replace it because it always seems to be in use. I don't have access to any safe modes. I believe that the corrupt ntvdm.exe is at the root of all of my problems & that replacing it will solve most.

I have run registry correctors but there is no change. Is there a trick or a process for replacing the ntvdm.exe file? I am reluctant to call any tech people because they will probably have a problem with me installing eraser on my pc.

I appreciate everyone's time.

I am afraid I'm not a tech person, and you likely know more about that file and possible fixes than I do. But just in case, have you tried searching the net by typing the words fix ntvdm.exe into google? Here's a link to one forum that, near the bottom, seems to have some info on a registry fix, but it may not be your specific problem:

http://www.geeknewz.com/board/lofiversi ... t1931.html

Good luck.

Regards,

jberaser

Rd

I am afraid to say this but if you have wiped your free space with the first and last 2KB option then I suspect you will have to reinstall everything on your computer.

Sorry.

Agreed. If you first/last 2KB'ed your drive is probably condemned (the data on it, anyway).

I know I've not been around lately because.. I'm kinda tied up (already!) I'm starting to wonder if I should even release 5.86 as a final with these queer unsolvable bugs. The reason for these bugs are simple - Eraser is about a decade old and all the new bells and whistles MS added in is really confusing. The Eraser code is full of hacks and code which seems (in my opinion) poorly written. Alot of the code is not documented. Honestly I find that me fixing those bugs in the first place was a miracle.

Why I don't want to release a final is because if it is "stable" then the expectations automatically skyrocket.

Joel

Joel.

The first and last 2KB bug is so serious that I believe that all previous versions of Eraser must be removed from download.

If Eraser 5.86 has this bug solved / removed then releasing it and withdrawing all previous versions is the only responsible thing to do regardless of other peoples “expectations”.

It would also be nice if the final DLL pass was removed as I am receiving e-mails from people claiming to be able to recover data which is in actual fact this final DLL pass ! Or perhaps at least make it optional with the default setting set to off.

Joel could you spare the time to have a quick run through all the unsolved bugs in the bugs section and just see if there are any you could easily fix and then consider releasing 5.86. I know you said you were busy but people are loosing their data !

Thanks.

I was about to release 5.86 RC2, but your post came in just before I started FileZilla. I'm working on the thing now, if I can't get it up in 1 hour I'm abandoning it and will continue tomorrow and releasing 5.86 RC2 when that's done.

Joel

Thank you Joel. :)

I am sure all Eraser users are grateful for your efforts here.

Another crappy design decision. The property page is that for files alone. So I'll have to disable the free space wiping from the scheduler. GRR.

OR. The alternative will be that I display the error when the user does do the erase...

Joel

Ok the erasing function will just ignore the request to erase free space using first/last 2KB. Both cluster tips and free space is protected by the guard.

Releasing RC2 now.

Joel

Back