In which cases does it make sense to use secure deletion?

OoO

Hello,

I just want to know/collect, when (in which stuations) it would make sense to use a secure deletion tool.

Situations, where it would make sense in my opinion:

- You want to sell your HDD
- You want to throw the HDD into the trash
- You are sharing your PC/HDD with other people

Are there also any reasons for a regular use of a secure deletion tool, if nothing of the above things would apply?

Situations, where it definitively wouldn't make sense to use secure deletion in my opinion:

- Full HDD encryption

Situations, where it definitively wouldn't make sense to use secure deletion in my opinion:

- Full HDD encryption

That logic only works if your attacker does not gain access to your computer while it is up and running. These days forensic investigators will grab an image of RAM and hard drives of live systems if they have access to them. It is no longer a case of come on scene and yank the power to preserve the system, they are well aware FDE is in use so can't run the risk of being locked out.

I have a question:

What is the sense behind everyday erasing?
If no one else has access to my PC, why should I erase any data?
If I would sell my HDD, then it is clear, but what are arguments for erasing data apart from this?

Hi RTX

What is the sense behind everyday erasing?

Security. Although you may not need that level of security so weekly or monthly may suit your needs.

If no one else has access to my PC, why should I erase any data?

Do you know the date and time you are going to be burgled ? If not then I suggest you protect your data and privacy by employing Truecrypt for encryption and Eraser for secure data removal.

If I would sell my HDD, then it is clear, but what are arguments for erasing data apart from this?

If your computer is stolen and then sold on to someone who has access to a hex editor or data recovery software everything you thought you had deleted, bank details, private letters, private diary etc is available to the highest bidder.

Sometimes I repair other people’s computers and so I copy their data onto one of my spare drives and then restore it once I have made the repair. I owe it to my friends etc to protect their privacy by securely wiping my spare disk afterwards.

If you were a professional repair man then you may be copying things onto your spare drive from customers drives that may be illegal / copyright etc so in order to protect yourself you need to securely wipe the drive afterwards.

Back