Unused HDD space, Recuva vs Eraser

fr1973

Hello,

I've been erasing unused C:\ space - NTFS, UAC disabled - and after erasing with 1 pass pseudoram data, Recuva is listing 65,000 file with 0 bytes, e.g. more 4,000 files than before. Is this normal, does it have to do with MFT not being processed, why does Recuva list even more files than before ?

After erasing, Eraser reported more than 300 files not being processed, probably because they where protected files/folders or in use. Is there a way to remove those, like running in safe mode ?

Hi

I've been erasing unused C:\ space - NTFS, UAC disabled - and after erasing with 1 pass pseudoram data, Recuva is listing 65,000 file with 0 bytes, e.g. more 4,000 files than before. Is this normal, does it have to do with MFT not being processed, why does Recuva list even more files than before ?

The files you are finding are the ones Eraser creates and then deletes in order to overwrite the free space. It is normal and shows that Eraser is working for you.

After erasing, Eraser reported more than 300 files not being processed, probably because they where protected files/folders or in use. Is there a way to remove those, like running in safe mode ?

Safe mode may release some files “I think” but I wouldn’t worry about this too much.

Hey Overwriter,

Thanks for the quick reply.

- But isn't there a way to remove that big 0 KB list ? Why wasn't the list simply removed, providing that the previously occupied clusters are now - after defrag - overwriten with new data ? The list is stored in the MFT, right ?

- Those aditional 300 files are located inside Windows folder, Winsxs (I think), so I will not able to remove anything from there with current version of Eraser.

Cheers !

- But isn't there a way to remove that big 0 KB list ? Why wasn't the list simply removed, providing that the previously occupied clusters are now - after defrag - overwriten with new data ? The list is stored in the MFT, right ?

The files were removed. They are created like normal files until all the free space is occupied (in order to overwrite all the free space) then they are deleted. So they are no longer there, if that makes any sense ! :lol:

What you are viewing is random junk, which is worth nothing to someone snooping your free space.

Those aditional 300 files are located inside Windows folder, Winsxs (I think), so I will not able to remove anything from there with current version of Eraser.

Here is a great explanation of what Winsxs is and why you need to leave it alone !

Back