Where can I get Eraser 5.7?

purplediane

I have a couple older computers using Windows 98 & 2000 Pro. I would like to donate them, and therefore need to clean up the disks. The current version of Eraser doesn't work on these Windows versions; a note says that 5.7 works on them, but it's not available on the download page (or did I miss it?)

Is this version archived somewhere that I can download it?

Thanks!
Diane

It might be easier to download the disk image of DBAN (see the companion forum to this one), burn it to disk, an then 'nuke' each machine in one go.

I don't know why the Eraser 5 downloads have been removed. It isn't supported any more, but I would have thought they could have left the downloads for users like yourself. You could search on the web. but there's always the risk of landing on a dodgy site.

David

Thanks! I realized it's OK to donate the computers with wiped drives. :)

Now I'm trying to figure out DBAN, since the quickstart guide is missing ("oh noes!") and so is the readme file referenced in other threads on this forum.

Heading over to the DBAN forum, sigh...

Diane

Another issue with the newer version:
I opened Recent Files folder and right clicked to delete the shortcut, and Eraser (current version) erased the file that the shortcut was pointing too, not the shortcut. The older version 5.8.8 would delete the actual shortcut file, not the file it was pointing too. There should AT LEAST be a warning associated with the new version. I am very thankful to the person who posted the link to 5.8.8, so that I could uninstall the current version and install the old. I have been using Eraser for several years, and really like 5.8.8.

TNguy said:
I opened Recent Files folder and right clicked to delete the shortcut, and Eraser (current version) erased the file that the shortcut was pointing too, not the shortcut. The older version 5.8.8 would delete the actual shortcut file, not the file it was pointing too. There should AT LEAST be a warning associated with the new version.
I agree. The problem has been reported. Often, there are two context menu items (one for the shortcut and one for the file), but it is virtually impossible to know which is which.

TNguy said:
I am very thankful to the person who posted the link to 5.8.8, so that I could uninstall the current version and install the old. I have been using Eraser for several years, and really like 5.8.8.
Version 5 is no longer supported, and will (in my view) become more and more difficult to use as the rather draconian Windows security model evolves. So the real answer to the problem is not to revert to Version 5, but to support Joel and the team as they iron out the issues in Version 6, which is, to all intents and purposes, a new program.

David

I've kinda found the fix to the context menu issue. Watch out for it in the next release (the target of a shortcut is now ignored.)

Yeah, I wish they would activate version 5.7, it seemed to have all the right stuff without making the software so complicated.
The newer one, 6.8 doesn't seem to take using Windows 7, although it did once. I can't seem to get it to work anymore without it giving me the following message, posted below. But if any of you Eraser uses know of a solution, please do let me know.

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: eraser.exe
Problem Signature 02: 6.0.8.2280
Problem Signature 03: 4d1eb701
Problem Signature 04: Eraser.Manager
Problem Signature 05: 6.0.8.2280
Problem Signature 06: 4d1eb6f3
Problem Signature 07: 1de
Problem Signature 08: 56
Problem Signature 09: System.InvalidCastException
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid= ... cid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Try deleting the Task List (in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Eraser\Task List.ersx); this process has been documented in the FAQ section for quite a while, please have a look.

Back