Are these external HD erase instructions correct?

shokan

I followed these instructions at:
http://www.ehow.com/how_6954291_securel ... drive.html

Click the "Erase Schedule" button and click the "New Task" menu entry. Under "Task Properties" give a name to your task at the "Task name" text box, and then pick "Run immediately" under "Task Type."

Click the "Add Data" button to bring up the "Select Data to Erase" window. Pick the "Files in Folder" option and select the drive letter corresponding to your external hard drive. Click "OK" at the bottom to close out this window. Click the "Add Data" button again in the "Task Properties" window to bring up the "Select Data to Erase" window. This time click the "Unused disk space" option and select the drive letter for your external drive. Click "OK" to close this window out and start the process of erasing your external hard drive.

My task is to wipe an HD in an external USB enclosure. The PC recognizes it. After completing the instructions above, my task (named 'erase E') showed up in the schedule as running. But, it changed to "completed with errors' after about 30 seconds, and I heard no activity at any time from the external drive.

(I also tried right clicking Eraser in Start to Run as Administrator. This didn't help)

I've tried several times, same result. The errors in Eraser is a long list of red items of all the HD contents saying could not erase or something like that for each one. Any advice, please?

Windows 7 64 bit, Eraser 6.0.10.2060

Edit: forgot to mention, this HD has Windows installed on it and programs, pulled from my old PC. I want to erase it completely.

correction: actually, the HD does make some activity sounds during the first 15 seconds or so, but then it stops and the completed with errors appears. I also notice that two tasks appear in the schedule: 'E\' and also 'erase E' (the name I assigned). After this, only 'erase E' is left in the schedule, 'E:\' has disappeared.

Here is the log:

Session:
Wednesday, October 03, 2012 4:06:59 PM
Wednesday, October 03, 2012 4:06:59 PM Error Could not erase files and subfolders in E:\5250e4a1b8194da696c378\Graphics because Access to the path 'E:\5250e4a1b8194da696c378\Graphics' is denied.
Wednesday, October 03, 2012 4:07:10 PM Error Could not erase files and subfolders in E:\System Volume Information because Access to the path 'E:\System Volume Information' is denied.

Still trying to find out how to wipe this drive.

added:
from this thread @
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8571&p=27290#p27290
I tried to find out how to do a "Quick format" of an external HD but am not having any luck. FYI here is some info on the E:\ drive I want to wipe:

In Computer Management > Disk Management > (lower pane) Disk 2 (E:) 931.50 GB NTFS Healthy (Active, Primary Partition) and to the right of this a small cross-hatched area that says 9MB Unallocated.

Back