BIG WARNING!!!

Blackkatt

UPDATE! (1)

removing from safe mode did not work! I have the error for you, this should help you fix it! btw I need a fix ASAP!

This is what happens after uninstall
Log Name: Application
Source: SideBySide
Date: 2010-08-18 12:09:08
Event ID: 33
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: XXX
Description:
Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPointP\SetPoint.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.MFC,processorArchitecture="amd64",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="SideBySide" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49409">33</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-08-18T10:09:08.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>25209</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>XXX</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>Microsoft.VC90.MFC,processorArchitecture="amd64",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8"</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPointP\SetPoint.exe</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

BTW, this is on Win7 x64 SP1 beta (happens with or without SP1 beta)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I feelt I had to register here to tell somebody.

I installed this software some days ago. I was happy with it for wile, but it has some serious issues.

1. Almost always it fails to delete what I want. The task is generated but ends with errors. What that means is that the file/folder may be deleted but a "dummy" filefolder is created after it, not sure why...anyway this is not the big thing.

AFTER UNINSTALLING THIS BABY, IT DESTROYS LOGITECH DRIVERS!!! in my case my logitech G5 mouse.
What happens is that the logitech control panel stops working and my G5 mouse is not recognized by Logitech as there products so changing anything wont work. Windows still sees it but can do jack shit with it.

Am sure its Eraser witch cases it. I've reproduce this two times. I'm off now to try remove this malware from Safe Mode :twisted: :D

BTW am not trashing your product it's "fine" hehe, let me know when this is fixed and i install it again.

Please be a bit more moderate in expressing your concerns; we try to keep things friendly and civilised on the forum.

I can confirm that Eraser works in Safe Mode on my Windows 7 x64 system. It does not start automatically (nothing does in Safe Mode), but if started from the desktop icon works as normal, including from the context menu. This was tested on a development build, but I don't think 6.0.7 is any different in this respect.

I don't see how Eraser as such could interfere with your Logitech drivers. What seems more likely to me is that the drivers have an issue with .NET, which Eraser uses. This would not altogether surprise me; I no longer buy Logitech products, as every one I have bought has had driver issues of one kind or another.

If you get a task completed with errors, you need to check the task log, and, if the error is not dealt with in the FAQ, report it specifically here. In version 6.0.7., some error reports are (in my opinion) spurious, and these errors have been downgraded to warnings in the development builds. Other errors can be fixed simply by running the program as administrator.

The FAQ contain details as to how you can remove Eraser from your System. This does not require Safe Mode.

David

I'm sry if you experience me as unfriendly that was not my intention. However you clearly misunderstand the problem.

It's not a issue running Eraser in normal mode or in safe mode. Problem is removing it!

When I try to uninstall eraser it corrupts logitech drivers, more exact it makes smart point unusable (and produces the Event error witch I provided) and logitech do not recognize the mouse as a product of there's anymore. This is not a guess this is a fact and a big problem am afraid. I am atm trying all kinds of software to remove eraser without it having to corrupt other files on my system. Again, this is a fact on my system so I would really appreciate a fix for it.

You mentioned a number of issues, and I hoped that I responded to them all. I'm sorry if that was not clear.

All the Eraser installer/ uninstaller does is what its counterpart for any other program would do; add/remove files and Registry keys in/from standard Windows locations, none of which are in places associated with driver software. If it did anything else, with 200,000+ downloads, this forum would be awash with the complaints.

I'm still a bit unsure as to the exact sequence of events in your case, or why you felt the need to go into Safe Mode. There are instructions in the Manual and also in FAQ as to how you can remove all traces of Eraser from the machine, which, as I said, do not require the use of Safe Mode. If, having done that, you still cannot re-install the Logitech drivers you are having the problem with, I'm afraid, for the reason I gave in my last post, that is outside my experience. All I can think is that your Logitech program also uses .NET, and that there are issues with the .NET installation on your machine; in such a case, downloading and installing version 3.5 of the .NET framework might help. But that is, of necessity, a guess.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. I'm not here to defend Eraser willy-nilly. Where it has bugs, like any other user I want them identified and fixed. But in this case, the evidence points me to the conclusion that your underlying issue is with the Logitech driver/program (or possibly .NET) rather than Eraser as such.

David

You need this. To set the record straight, it isn't Eraser causing the problem. I can imagine that this is because Logitech used a non-standard deployment of the Visual C++ runtimes. When Eraser installs itself, runtimes are installed using the standard Microsoft merge modules. Uninstalling results in the removal of the runtimes, as to the computer, no other applications are using it (since Logitech used a non-standard approach)

We'll solve your other problems when you report the driver problem is resolved.

Thank you both for the reply!

I have already tried to reinstall that without any effect. The Logitech driver still won't work. However I'm now doing some advanced registry cleaning it can be as you say some other part that causes this. Due this only happens when I uninstall Eraser...

I'll get back to you when am done with the registry. There are some problems there atm not sure if they are related yet.

On another note, if as you say Logitech uses non-standard deployment of the Visual C++ run times reinstalling Set-point should solve it, but it doesn't

I get back to you.

It doesn't matter. The non-standard deployment is fraught with problems in itself -- the approach is wrong. This is the reason Microsoft insists that the only supported deployment route is through merge modules or through their installers.

Back