Can I recover files that I have erased?

Peppi

Hi, can someone please help me ASAP. I have accidently erased files that I shouldn't have can I recover these files?

Any suggestions? :oops: :cry:

If you've erased files, they're gone.

As a poster above this noted, it might be possible to find backups or unerased temporary versions of the files on your drive. But barring that, the files are unrecoverable. That's what eraser is designed to do :)

The thing that bothers me the most about a post like this is that it isn't specific enough.

The OP says he "erased" some files - but did he really? Or did he just delete them?

What kind of files were they? Word, text, pics, songs, movies - what?

Did he use ERASER to "erase" them - or something else?

If he did actually "erase' them with ERASER and then subsequent to that ran an ERASER "free-space" wipe (that was correctly set up) - then the answer is "No, your "files" are gone forever."

But I guess we'll never know since the OP never came back! (This kind of stuff drives me nuts). Pete

Kythe said:

As a poster above this noted, it might be possible to find backups or unerased temporary versions of the files on your drive. But barring that, the files are unrecoverable. That's what eraser is designed to do :)
Windows makes backup of certain files, Like the HOSTS file.

Carver said:
Kythe said:

Windows makes backup of certain files, Like the HOSTS file.

Yes it does, which makes a search of the drive using a tool like Winhex, looking for known text strings (for example) worthwhile. You might find another copy that can be recovered in whole or in part.

Actually, it's not a bad idea to occasionally use such a tool anyway, to make sure your cleanup procedures haven't developed a leak :)

Back