Clarification on erasing please...

orangeblue

I have been reading through some of the posts and Im confused on one issue. Say youre in Windows 2000 and you want to erase one file, you would right click it and select "erase" from the menu. It would erase (overwrite) all the file information (filenames, etc) for that one file with random data or whatever, and it knows exactly what file because we selected it. Now I understand all that, but how about if you were given a drive you have no idea whats on it and you just used the Eraser command line tools to erase that drive, would it still effectively eraser all the data on that drive (filenames, etc.) when we dont know what OS, filesystem, etc. was used?

Eraser will erase any drive it sees provided:
1. It is a FAT or NTFS partition.
2. There are no locked files.

Garrett

quote:Originally posted by admin
Eraser will erase any drive it sees provided:
1. It is a FAT or NTFS partition.
2. There are no locked files.

Garrett

Thanks for replying Garrett, but like in my previous post I mentioned its 2 drives that were in a RAID-0 config with a NTFS partition. The RAID stripe is broken so I dont think it would know its a FAT or NTFS or whatever partition. I used that DBAN floppy on them and it was able to detect both disks and sucessfully wipe them so is that it?

Back