Clean Comp on Start Up?

JoeB

So I downloaded Eraser to delete loads of unnecessary information that Windows tends to collect, and make it as if each time I switched on the computer it would be like as if I'm the first person to use it ever. But not only do I not know where to start, I'm afraid I'm going to - for example - delete something that will prevent my computer from ever starting up again or permanently damage it in some way! I would be very grateful if someone could explain the steps for me to take or point me in the right direction(s)!

Big thanks in advance.

Got this from Microsoft help:

This article describes how to start your computer by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs so that you can determine whether a background program is interfering with your game or program. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." This article also provides information that you can use to o troubleshoot application or service conflicts.

When you start Windows by using a normal startup, several applications and services start automatically, and then run in the background. These programs include basic system processes, antivirus software, system utility applications, and other software that has been previously installed. These applications and services can cause interference when you install or run a program, such as Microsoft Flight Simulator X or Streets & Trips 2010.

This article is intended for a beginning to intermediate computer user.

else try this link: http://www.techyv.com/node/1936

I think you are looking for Steady State. Eraser is meant to erase data permanently, it is not good at maintaining a system in a particular state.

Thank you for reading and answering and I will be on the suggestions as soon as I have a minute of free time. But I was thinking maybe you could set Eraser to, on start up permanently delete selected folders - the one's the accumulate activity information. Is this a possibility ?

It would not be as clean as if you were to use Steady State. Eraser only deals with files; changes can be made to the system beyond files, such as registry keys etc.

There is a scheduling option to run a task at every start up, if you really want to get rid of files on boot.

Oops, didn't notice SteadyState does not work on 7. Try this TechNet article. It is, however, aimed at network admins.

I'm sorry -- if the article leads you to a dead end you'll have to find help elsewhere, this is rather beyond the scope of this forum.

Okay Thank you very much and yes my questions are boarding outside forum, and I am grateful for your replies. But I just have one final question, will the Guest Account that comes with Windows 7 do the reset to default with limited options functions I require?

No it does not, it just has no administrator permissions and does not require a password... otherwise it acts like a normal user account.

Back