Couple of Questions

Bob7

Hello,

I recently heard about this product and decided to try iy. I downloaded version 5.7 (only one available on the website I first saw it) and tested it out with a folder of random junk that would otherwise have gone to the recycle bin. It seemed to work fine, and I'm glad I'm now aware of this application :)

I did have a few questions about the software, though.

-Version 5.7 seemed to work fine on my machine (running Windows XP) but I just wanted to double-check: is this older version compatible with NT-based operating systems such as XP?

-If it is compatible, is there any reason to upgrade immediately? Or are the differences between 5.7 and newer versions mostly minor?

-Can you use the software to completely wipe an external hard disk connected by USB cable? I'm guessing you could just move everything off it and then do an "overwrite empty space" task.

-Is there any commercially available or otherwise available software which is capable of un-deleting something deleted and overwritten using the Gutmann method?

-I noticed that while I installed version 5.7, the uninstall option in the program folder is named, "Uninstall Eraser 5.6". This probably isn't really important or anything, but I was just curious, is this just a cosmetic thing someone forgot to change with the new version? Can anyone else see it in their installed copy of 5.7?

Thanks very much to anyone who takes the time to answer. :eek:

-Bob

Bob said:
-Version 5.7 seemed to work fine on my machine (running Windows XP) but I just wanted to double-check: is this older version compatible with NT-based operating systems such as XP?

Yes.

Bob said:
-If it is compatible, is there any reason to upgrade immediately? Or are the differences between 5.7 and newer versions mostly minor?

Stick with 5.7 for now but keep checking for 5.86 Final. 5.86 final will have many bugs removed and also a serious data loss bug. (First and last 2KB option in the scheduler).

Bob said:
-Can you use the software to completely wipe an external hard disk connected by USB cable? I'm guessing you could just move everything off it and then do an "overwrite empty space" task.

No, not with any Eraser 5X release. However this has been made a feature request for version 6. You can however clean most of the attached drive with Eraser 5X.

Bob said:
-Is there any commercially available or otherwise available software which is capable of un-deleting something deleted and overwritten using the Gutmann method?

You are kidding right ??? How about first trying to find any commercially available or otherwise available software which is capable of un-deleting a single pseudorandom pass !! The Gutmann method is just unnecessary, even Gutmann says so. Unless you are running a “vintage” hard drive.

Bob said:
-I noticed that while I installed version 5.7, the uninstall option in the program folder is named, "Uninstall Eraser 5.6". This probably isn't really important or anything, but I was just curious, is this just a cosmetic thing someone forgot to change with the new version? Can anyone else see it in their installed copy of 5.7?

Yes, it is just a mistake.

Back