Does Eraser Rename File Names When Erasing?

I'm a new user of Eraser, I've been an advocate of Simple File Shredder for many years. One feature that I've found in that application that I think it absolutely a must have to privacy is that it renames the files you are deleting with a random file name. Does Eraser offer this feature? I'm using Eraser version 5.7 on Windows Xp (32 bit). I've done some test erasing and it doesn't seem to be re-naming the files as it is deleting.

Any answers would be helpful! If this is not offered by the Eraser program, you must have it in the new Eraser app that you guys are creating! :)

It is definitely in v6. As a matter of fact, it's renamed 20 or so times IIRC. v5 should do that too.

Joel

Does that include Fat 12, Fat 16, Fat 32, and NTFS ?

I hope so ! I have been concerned about this !

Thanks Joel, if this is so I can sleep safely at night !!
:lol:

Renames go on regardless of file system.

Joel

I'm going to test this out for sure within the next hour. I have Eraser 5.7, VMware, a copy of Windows XP, and a file recovery program. I'll tell you what I find ASAP.

I'll test it with the new Eraser app after I try it on 5.7. :)

Wow, I've tested many different things (only on one recovery program though) and Eraser has passed everytime! I couldn't recover file names or anything on any of the default wiping settings.

I'll try other recovery software in the near future and update my findings. 8)

Hi GiantsWinSuperbowl :)

Thank you for testing Eraser and posting your results.

If you ever find a bug would you please make a ticket for it on the Eraser Trac?

Are you a professional data recovery expert or is this just your hobby ?

Hi Joel,

Renames go on regardless of file system.

Yes I understand, I didn’t phrase my question properly. :oops: I am interested if the clearing of FAT and MFT directory entries is working in V6.

I remember you said that it couldn’t be done with FAT because of either .Net restrictions or Vista or something like that.

I am sure you know what I mean. :)

Thanks.

No. I don't have any method to erase it in FAT for Vista/XP.

Joel

If this is a .NET thing could Eraser have a standalone app.exe downloaded and installed in the Eraser directory that users could double click and wipe the FAT directory ? Even better would it be possible that V6 could run it ?

I understand this is an ugly programming hack but it is better than not cleaning this area surly ?

I can confirm for fact that ERASER does indeed always renames files as well as overwriting them because my HIPS makes me wait several many times depending on the ERASER method i chosen and i can visually watch the name changing in real-time untill ERASER finally completes.

EASTER

Overwriter said:
If this is a .NET thing could Eraser have a standalone app.exe downloaded and installed in the Eraser directory that users could double click and wipe the FAT directory ? Even better would it be possible that V6 could run it ?

I understand this is an ugly programming hack but it is better than not cleaning this area surly ?
Actually I've just developed a method for erasing FAT file entries which should work under XP/Vista. It is found at #54. If you have relevant experience dealing with file systems, tell me if that will be sufficient to clear the old directory table entries.

I will implement this if someone else can independently verify (and approve of) my method.

Joel

Well done Joel, stunning work as always !! :D

If this does indeed work this is a significant step forward for Eraser V6. I must admit I was getting quite nervous about this problem.

I will implement this if someone else can independently verify (and approve of) my method.

I’ll try to find out for you.

Back