Downgrade from v5 to v6

jonp

-- don't like the icon...its a bad play on the nuclear icon and used in poor judgement. that icon, and mutations like this one, should not be used in other contexts as it weakens the value of the original.
-- can't find a way to turn off the scheduler
-- explorer context menu doesn't have a way, that i could find, to select the erase method
---

all-in-all, i'll stay with the "old" version
Jon

The icon is a matter of taste. You could argue that it is fair warning of the destructive power of Eraser, which is something of which all users should be aware.

As to the design of the program, I think you should read the FAQ 'sticky' post on Eraser architecture before committing yourself. The issue is not really which is the 'better' version, but which is likely to co-exist in the longer term with a developing Windows ecosystem, and particularly with the security model. It's your choice, but Version 5 is now at the end of the line.

David

Actually I came here because I couldn't stand v6 anymore and wondered if there was a way to fix it. I basically have the same complaints, though the icon isn't a dealbreaker, it just looks cheesy.

But I hate always having this thing in my system tray when I only use it every few months. I don't want to schedule everything I do. Most of all, it's just too cumbersome to select the erasure method through settings instead of just right-clicking the recycle bin and telling it which algorithm to erase with. I can't for the life of me figure out why we lost that feature, but I will gladly assume any risks caused by downgrading in order to get that back.

Tachikoma said:
But I hate always having this thing in my system tray when I only use it every few months. I don't want to schedule everything I do. Most of all, it's just too cumbersome to select the erasure method through settings instead of just right-clicking the recycle bin and telling it which algorithm to erase with. I can't for the life of me figure out why we lost that feature, but I will gladly assume any risks caused by downgrading in order to get that back.
Use the link in my signature to go to the FAQ, and read the post on Eraser architecture, which will at least explain why things are as they are. It is important to recognise that, compared with Eraser 5, Eraser 6 is 100% new code. Some things changed and others got left out. But a number of the omissions will be rectified.

The 6.1 development versions already have a context menu confirmations/settings dialog which will enable you to edit the task generated from the context menu, including changing the erasure method. Personally, I prefer to choose a default method in settings and leave it at that, but each to his own. Version 6.2 (the next planned stable release) will no longer have a running process, as the erasing engine will be run as a service.

David

Thanks David. I have read the FAQ and understand the technical reasons for the rewrite. Actually I am mostly fine with that and it does make sense. I certainly can't fault the Eraser team for going to .NET either. As for the interface, from an end-user's POV though, I've recently given up and stopped using Eraser altogether, but I am glad to hear that you guys are addressing it, and I will certainly check in later to see how things are going.

Most importantly, thank you for putting so much work into such a useful, free tool. While I tried to stick with it for a few weeks, the changes going into version 6 were too radical for me in the end, but it sounds like it will become less cumbersome to use again soon.

As my signature says, I'm not a developer, so no thanks are due to me.

FWIW, I too had a bit of a culture shock when I moved from v5 to v6, but I now prefer the latter by far; the interface (particularly the Schedule pane) makes much more sense than the one in v5. The real issue (apart from the 'missing' features, most of which will re-surface in Version 6.2) is that the interface is actually so clean that new users don't know where to look. That's where the FAQ post on Getting to Know Eraser 6 comes in.

David

Back