erase unused space

user7

New Member
Hello all!
First of all, i want to thank you for this great little but powerful program!
I've used it for 3 years and it performed just as it should, although, I'm currently using the 5.8.7 version, not 6, because i had problems with that one and i des-installed it. I'm sure that you will fix all the bugs meanwhile :)

Having the fact that I'm a beginner in all the security and computer domain (but i''m very into privacy stuff), i have some questions:
I use for ballast, files created with Dummy Files Creator, so what is the difference between what that program is doing with the free space and what Eraser is doing? Using DFC to fill all the free space after using Eraser to erase unused space is increasing security, or is not having any good effect?
How is better(or there is a difference) between erasing sensitive files in a folder or in the recycle bin after deleting the?
In cases like the #%$& Windows XP (which is a privacy nightmare) is deleting some files (like temp let's) say, using Eraser to erase unused space will wipe them for sure?
Thank you all!

ps. sorry my English, but I'm not a native speaker.
 

Joel

Active Member
user7 said:
I use for ballast, files created with Dummy Files Creator, so what is the difference between what that program is doing with the free space and what Eraser is doing? Using DFC to fill all the free space after using Eraser to erase unused space is increasing security, or is not having any good effect?
Eraser will erase the empty entries in the FAT directory entries and NTFS MFT.

user7 said:
How is better(or there is a difference) between erasing sensitive files in a folder or in the recycle bin after deleting the?
No difference, assuming the file didn't get duplicated in the meantime. The old directory reference may also be left dangling though, the old filename may be recoverable.

user7 said:
In cases like the #%$& Windows XP (which is a privacy nightmare) is deleting some files (like temp let's) say, using Eraser to erase unused space will wipe them for sure?
Thank you all!
If the file is deleted and unused space erasure is used the file should be gone forever.
 
Top