Eraser 6 got worse?

Martin1111

Eraser 6 manual: "You cannot erase files compressed at the file system level..."; "You cannot erase files encrypted at the file system level..."

Eraser 5 manual: "You can safely erase files compressed at the file system level..."; "You can safely erase files encrypted at the file system level..."

How so?

And the shell extension in Eraser 5 is much more comfortable, because it asks for confirmation every time, and there is a option menu, where you can choose erasure method. Eraser 6, if "erase" command is choosen from menu, immediately starts erasing in background - so accident may happen. And then program remains running in background, which is not needed, when using shell extension. Also there is no "secure move" command anymore.

Martin1111 said:
Eraser 6 manual: "You cannot erase files compressed at the file system level..."; "You cannot erase files encrypted at the file system level..."

Eraser 5 manual: "You can safely erase files compressed at the file system level..."; "You can safely erase files encrypted at the file system level..."
Because the Eraser 5 algorithm ended up corrupting people's filesystems. So I've opted to not implement this in v6.

Martin1111 said:
And the shell extension in Eraser 5 is much more comfortable, because it asks for confirmation every time, and there is a option menu, where you can choose erasure method. Eraser 6, if "erase" command is choosen from menu, immediately starts erasing in background - so accident may happen. And then program remains running in background, which is not needed, when using shell extension. Also there is no "secure move" command anymore.
Confirmations can't be added during the v6 timeframe, it's targeted for 6.2 Program running in the background is needed, for various reasons (keywords: UAC, free space, scheduler -- may be more, I can't remember offhand though) I've stated in the forum over the last 5 months. Maybe it's time for an FAQ entry.

Joel said:
Because the Eraser 5 algorithm ended up corrupting people's filesystems. So I've opted to not implement this in v6.
Ok then. I was going to start managing my personal documents by encrypting them on file system level (because i prefer to get things done using possibilities implemented in OS, rather than installling bunch of additional tools), but if You say so, then i will use some external program, like True Crypt, instead. Don't want my file system to get corrupted one day, after erasing some encrypted files. And there is no difference in security, as i understood: both methods (external program or file system encryption) are secure enough.

Joel said:
Confirmations can't be added during the v6 timeframe, it's targeted for 6.2

Then i am forced to stay with version 5, until version 6.2 comes out :)

Joel said:
Program running in the background is needed, for various reasons (keywords: UAC, free space, scheduler -- may be more, I can't remember offhand though) I've stated in the forum over the last 5 months. Maybe it's time for an FAQ entry.

Of course it would be good to clarify this things in FAQ. And about confirmations too. Users are this kind of people, who like comfort. And when one day with the new version it's gone - they get very frustrated :D

Anyway - thanks for reply and thanks for the work You're doing by developing this useful software. I personally think, that Microsoft should implement this tool in Windows.

Back