Eraser cannot find file

melinus

New Member
I tried to erase 2 excel files by selecting them in Windows Explorer. I right clicked the mouse and selected "erase." That resulted in a message saying that it was erased "with errors." In checking the task list, it showed that the program "could not find the file." I don't understand how that could be since I was able to open the file prior to erasing it.

Help, please.
 

Joel

Active Member
Re: Eraser Error Messages

Check the path to the file by double-clicking on the task. You can double click on the file name within the Task Properties dialog to show the full path to the file. Does that path exist?
 

melinus

New Member
Re: Eraser Error Messages

Sorry, I don’t understand. While in Windows Explorer, I tried to open the “erased” file and a window popped up asking what program to open it with. Excel was not one of the selections, so I couldn’t try to open it. Right clicking on the file, the name of which is now jibberish, and then clicking on Properties showed the original location of the file.

I now have about a dozen files shown in the Erase Schedule showing “not quequed.” I originally tried to erase a folder, but when that didn’t seem to work I tried to erase the files individually. Double-clicking on those files brings up Task Properties showing the original file location—abbreviated because the box is small—under Data Set. Double-clicking on the item in Data Set brings up a Select Data to Erase box. I have not proceeded from there.

Appreciate your help.
 

Joel

Active Member
Re: Eraser Error Messages

Okay, was Excel running when you erased the file? It sounds like Eraser could not delete the file after obfuscating the file name. If that's the case, a normal delete should suffice. If Excel was not running, you should check if your search service or anti virus could be locking the file. What are you using for these two purposes?
 

melinus

New Member
Re: Eraser Error Messages

Excel was not running when I tried to erase the file. Sorry, don’t understand what you mean by “If that's the case, a normal delete should suffice.” Do you mean to just delete the file and send it to the Recycle Bin? Then delete it again and erase unused disk space to “destroy” it later on?
In fact, would erasing unused space later on solve the problem I’m having?

I use both Google and Yahoo for search, and my antivirus is Norton Internet Security. How do I check if they might be locking the file? I used an older version of Eraser 4 years ago and didn’t have any problems. As a test, I just tried to erase a Word file and got the same result as with the Excel files. However, I was able to double-click on the erased Word file and got a blank page. I don’t know if that means that the file was really erased.

Thanks for your help and patience.
 

Joel

Active Member
Re: Eraser Error Messages

melinus said:
Excel was not running when I tried to erase the file.
That would be strange.

melinus said:
Sorry, don’t understand what you mean by “If that's the case, a normal delete should suffice.” Do you mean to just delete the file and send it to the Recycle Bin? Then delete it again and erase unused disk space to “destroy” it later on?
Yes, though I think an unused disk space erase is unnecessary.
melinus said:
In fact, would erasing unused space later on solve the problem I’m having?
Unused disk erasures are to clean up the remnants of files after deleting them non-securely. So yes, it would be a solution. But files should be erased without needing that process.

melinus said:
I use both Google and Yahoo for search, and my antivirus is Norton Internet Security. How do I check if they might be locking the file? I used an older version of Eraser 4 years ago and didn’t have any problems.
Did you apply the latest patches from Microsoft? .NET is particularly sensitive so these things.
melinus said:
As a test, I just tried to erase a Word file and got the same result as with the Excel files. However, I was able to double-click on the erased Word file and got a blank page. I don’t know if that means that the file was really erased.
Another strange result. Can you try erasing a text file or picture instead?
 

melinus

New Member
Re: Eraser Error Messages

Ok, tried erasing a picture and the same thing happened as with Word document. It was erased “with errors” and double-clicking on the erased file brought up a blank.

Re your comment that is was strange that Excel was not running when I tried to erase a file... I did that while in Windows Explorer (WE) and as you know clicking on a file there will open both the program and the file itself. My tries with Word/Excel documents and picture were done the same way, opening the files in WE to check and then erasing the files while in WE.

I went to Microsoft website and saw lots of possible downloads for .net framework, so unsure what would be appropriate. Also, not sure how this would help.

Fyi I had set erasing to DoD 7 passes. Changing to 3 passes had same result.

Appreciate your help and patience.
 

melinus

New Member
Re: Eraser Error Messages

Ok, it occurred to me that maybe I should uninstall/reinstall Eraser. So, I did. Got same result as above--used 3 passes.

Think I'll just give up.
 

Joel

Active Member
Re: Eraser Error Messages

melinus said:
Ok, tried erasing a picture and the same thing happened as with Word document. It was erased “with errors” and double-clicking on the erased file brought up a blank.
Then something is really preventing files from being deleted. Since Eraser erases file contents before garbling file names then finally doing a normal delete operation, the fact that a randomly-named file with random data inside would mean that deletion failed. Since Eraser reported errors, what are those errors? Go to the task log (right-click on the task, View Task Log) and you can see what Eraser reports. That's probably the missing link here.

melinus said:
Re your comment that is was strange that Excel was not running when I tried to erase a file... I did that while in Windows Explorer (WE) and as you know clicking on a file there will open both the program and the file itself. My tries with Word/Excel documents and picture were done the same way, opening the files in WE to check and then erasing the files while in WE.
I meant that if Excel is not running, the problem should not manifest, hence it would be strange.

melinus said:
I went to Microsoft website and saw lots of possible downloads for .net framework, so unsure what would be appropriate. Also, not sure how this would help.
The installer will install the appropriate version if it does not find it on your system. You do not have to do any separate installation.

melinus said:
Fyi I had set erasing to DoD 7 passes. Changing to 3 passes had same result.
I am quite convinced that this is not a pass-erasure problem, but something working at a level lower than what Eraser has access to (i.e. OS or hardware level)
 

melinus

New Member
Re: Eraser Error Messages

As I mentiioned above, the Task Log shows Time Stamp, Severity shown as "Error", and Message as "Could not find file 'C:\Users....file location followed by garbled file name. Sorry, went back to MS .net framework and still don't know how to download patch you mentioned. Fyi, out of frustration I deleted all of the previous tries from the Erase Schedule--but don't know why they appeared there in the first place. It seems everything I try to erase manually results in the error message and winds up on the schedule. Anyway, I just tried to erase 3 more Word files and got same result as before.

Appreciate your patience. This must be as frustrating for you as it is for me.
 

Joel

Active Member
Okay, let me recap this (I'm getting confused myself)

  • The first time the program runs, it runs but the file's original name is replaced with garbage. The file's data is also corrupt when renaming back to the old file and opening the file with the proper program
  • The task still contains the path to the original file, but the original file no longer exists (replaced with garbage for file name)

In post #7 you said:
melinus said:
Re your comment that is was strange that Excel was not running when I tried to erase a file... I did that while in Windows Explorer (WE) and as you know clicking on a file there will open both the program and the file itself. My tries with Word/Excel documents and picture were done the same way, opening the files in WE to check and then erasing the files while in WE.
You opened the file while Eraser was erasing it?

melinus said:
As I mentiioned above, the Task Log shows Time Stamp, Severity shown as "Error", and Message as "Could not find file 'C:\Users....file location followed by garbled file name.
So does that path exist? Please copy and paste error messages verbatim in future, you are starting to obfuscate the intents of the message.

melinus said:
Fyi, out of frustration I deleted all of the previous tries from the Erase Schedule--but don't know why they appeared there in the first place. It seems everything I try to erase manually results in the error message and winds up on the schedule. Anyway, I just tried to erase 3 more Word files and got same result as before.
Because the tasks failed, Eraser will not delete those old tasks.

I'm getting rather confused by your messages. If my summary above isn't what's going on, can you make a summary? Please use exact messages and do not remove any detail you may think as unnecessary -- most of the time it is the things we overlook that are the problems.
 

melinus

New Member
Sorry for the confusion. I can see how this can easily happen since, as a newbie, I’m very confused. Let me try to summarize.

1. I wanted to erase some Excel and Word files while in Windows Explorer (WE). I DID NOT open Excel or Word, but I clicked on and opened those files (from WE) to see if I wanted to erase them.
2. When I decided to erase some files (I’m still in WE), I right-clicked on them and selected “Erase.” That’s when I got the “...completed with errors” message. I clicked on the erased file (while still in WE), the name of which was now garbled, to see what there was and got a blank page. I did not try to open the file while Eraser was erasing it. I did so after getting the error message.

3. Being unfamiliar with Eraser, I stumbled onto the “Erase Schedule” showing the files (with garbled names) I tried to erase under “tasks executed manually.” Under “Next Run” they all showed “not quequed.” I right-clicked on those files and selected “View Task Log.” The following is an example of what I got next:

Session: Saturday, October 29, 2011 9:28:27 AM
Saturday, October 29, 2011 9:28:27 AM Error Could not find file 'C:\Users\xxxx\Documents\2002 Taxes\g9Shhk~dnz2o=0YMuZx~G4Ml7='.

4. You asked if the path of the erased files still exist. If by that you mean file location, the answer is yes as you can see in the above example.

The bullet points in your summary are correct. Thanks again for your patience. Btw, could you please tell me how to download the .net framework patch if you still think that might help? I’ve checked my Norton Internet Security settings and can’t see anything that might cause the problem, but I’m not all that knowledgeable.
 

Joel

Active Member
melinus said:
Sorry for the confusion. I can see how this can easily happen since, as a newbie, I’m very confused. Let me try to summarize.
No problem, let's keep this moving.

melinus said:
1. I wanted to erase some Excel and Word files while in Windows Explorer (WE). I DID NOT open Excel or Word, but I clicked on and opened those files (from WE) to see if I wanted to erase them.
2. When I decided to erase some files (I’m still in WE), I right-clicked on them and selected “Erase.” That’s when I got the “...completed with errors” message. I clicked on the erased file (while still in WE), the name of which was now garbled, to see what there was and got a blank page. I did not try to open the file while Eraser was erasing it. I did so after getting the error message.
You sound like you are using a preview feature of some sort. Are you?

melinus said:
3. Being unfamiliar with Eraser, I stumbled onto the “Erase Schedule” showing the files (with garbled names) I tried to erase under “tasks executed manually.” Under “Next Run” they all showed “not quequed.” I right-clicked on those files and selected “View Task Log.” The following is an example of what I got next:

Session: Saturday, October 29, 2011 9:28:27 AM
Saturday, October 29, 2011 9:28:27 AM Error Could not find file 'C:\Users\xxxx\Documents\2002 Taxes\g9Shhk~dnz2o=0YMuZx~G4Ml7='
Okay, so you erased a few files (or the same file a few times), then figured out about the Erase Schedule dialog, which by then had many of these strange entries, right? Delete all of them. Erase one of the files you originally intended to erase. The erase would be expected to fail BUT when you go back to the Erase Schedule dialog, is the path and file name correct? The log will most likely report an error similar to what was found previously

melinus said:
4. You asked if the path of the erased files still exist. If by that you mean file location, the answer is yes as you can see in the above example.
Okay, and does the file itself exist?

melinus said:
The bullet points in your summary are correct. Thanks again for your patience. Btw, could you please tell me how to download the .net framework patch if you still think that might help? I’ve checked my Norton Internet Security settings and can’t see anything that might cause the problem, but I’m not all that knowledgeable.
I don't think it's a .NET framework issue here. Norton is quite well-behaved (I use the corporate version) so I'm at a loss of what's going on.

Just for curiosity's sake, have you reinstalled Windows before? This sounds like one of those things where Windows has accumulated errors and it's just behaving weird.
 

melinus

New Member
Joel wrote: “You sound like you are using a preview feature of some sort. Are you?”
- No. I’m opening files for possible erasing and then erasing them while in WE. And, I'm trying to provide detailed info of what I've done, as you asked.

Joel wrote: “Delete all of them. Erase one of the files you originally intended to erase. The erase would be expected to fail BUT when you go back to the Erase Schedule dialog, is the path and file name correct? The log will most likely report an error similar to what was found previously.”
- I deleted all of the files listed in Erase Schedule, as you asked. Went back to WE and erased previously erased file, which was listed with garbled file name. Did not get an error message; seemingly no response. However, that newly “erased” file is now listed in the Erase Schedule just like the previous ones. Right-clicking and viewing Task Log shows that item with the correct file location like before.

Joel wrote: “Okay, and does the file itself exist?”
- In WE, the item name is the garbled one; under “Type” it’s shown as “file” whereas it was shown as an MS Word document before; Size is shown as 0 kb; and nothing is shown under Date Modified. So, it seems to exist as a blank. And, as I mentioned before, double-clicking on it brings up a window asking what program to open it with.

No, I have not reinstalled Windows...and fyi I have Vista.

I sure hope you can figure this out. Thanks, again.
 

melinus

New Member
Joel,

I know that you're very busy, and my situation is a puzzling one. What I didn't mention before was that I bought a new pc over 2 weeks ago and would like to set it up. So, I'm trying to erase critical files etc. in my old pc before setting up the new one. For sure, I realize that you're grappling to find a solution for me, and I very much appreciate your patience in trying to help. If you're unable to solve this apparently unusual problem with Eraser, can you suggest something else for me to "erase" files from my old pc? Please know that I'm not very computer literate, as you can probably tell.

Thanks, again.
 

Joel

Active Member
What you can do is set up your new computer, install Eraser on it and test if it works (it should.)

If it does work, you can hook up the old computer's hard disk and erase it with your new computer. That requires some expertise... if moving the disks is not a problem (a caddy or enclosure will do) then that should work fine.

Otherwise we'll go back to the drawing board.
 

melinus

New Member
Sorry, wish I could, but that really doesn't sound like something I can do. What other options do I have if you can't come up with a fix for the Eraser problem?
 

totallyconfused

New Member
melinus said:
I tried to erase 2 excel files by selecting them in Windows Explorer. I right clicked the mouse and selected "erase." That resulted in a message saying that it was erased "with errors." In checking the task list, it showed that the program "could not find the file." I don't understand how that could be since I was able to open the file prior to erasing it.

Help, please.
Hi. Im new to all this computer deletion stuff. Im not sure if this is in a different forum but ive gone through some and came aceross this. I have files i want to get rid of. I downloaded Eraser, selected two files, one a Microsoft Student docu and another a scanned document, they qued in the task and then the status said 'completed with errors'. i tried to follow the path?? but there is nothing in my task box. I havent a clue how to even go about finding these files as they seem to be gone but i need them deleted. Can you please please help me? :(
 

Joel

Active Member
Right-click the task and view the Task Log? What does it say?
 
Top