Eraser Crashed

atze

Hi,

Eraser crashed.

I have an external (USB2.0) Seagate 2TB drive that holds my virtual machines. This drive developed bad blocks, so I bought the exact same model drive, copied all data over to the new drive and then used eraser to delete all files from the original.

Old drive (to be erased) Name: Expansion Drive (I:)
New drive (to keep) Name: Expansion Drive (H:)

Before I began erasing the drive the file structure on both drives was the same.
In Eraser's settings I ticked 'Force locked files to be unlocked for erasure'.
I set up a new task (Run Manually). In 'Add Data' I selected the 'Files in folder' option and browsed to I:\
I set the method to British HMG IS5 (Baseline) (1 Pass) and ran the task.

When the task was almost completed (after many hours) Eraser crashed! Below is the relevant entry from the event log.
There were two more relevant entries in the event log, which I attached.
Faulting application name: Eraser.exe, version: 6.0.9.2343, time stamp: 0x4eb4b872
Faulting module name: mscorwks.dll, version: 2.0.50727.5448, time stamp: 0x4e153960
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000001572c0
Faulting process id: 0x%9
Faulting application start time: 0x%10
Faulting application path: %11
Faulting module path: %12
Report Id: %13

I hope this error report will help to improve Eraser.

Attachments

• EraserEvents.txt
    4.9 KB · Views: 92
Hmm, this indicates that the problem originates from the .NET runtime. I'm guessing that because the original drive you are erasing contains bad blocks, the system will not be able to issue write commands correctly to the drive. As such, I would expect such things happen.

Having said that, it is true that Eraser should not crash, it should at most error out. I don't see a way forward with this, however, since the error report does provide very little information on what triggered the crash: the only useful piece of information I can glean is that it crashed somewhere in the .NET runtime. If you are adventurous, you can try a 6.2 build; that would have crash reporting built in and should provide some clues.

Back