Hi. I was using a previous version and am now using 220.127.116.1120. Either one, it takes over 30 seconds after double-clicking the Erase icon before the initial screen is displayed. Just wondering if this is normal or do I maybe not have something set up quite right. Thanks.
I have 3 manual tasks - one for each drive I have - 2 internal disks and one USB which is not connected unless I am using it for a backup or to wipe. I guess I have not tried running the program with it connected. Doesn't seem that should make any difference.
I have no separate firewall running - just Windows' internal. I'm running Winows 7 Home Premium x64 secured only by MSE. I've never had a firewall issue with anything else.
I have an i3 with 4G of memory. Everything else jut pops right up when run. I was expecting you to explain to me why this delay in startup is a normal occurrence but now I'm wondering what's going on. Is there anything else I can supply you that might help understand the situation? Thanks.
Hey, Joel. I don't know - I tried every combination of network cable connected/disconnected and USB drive connected/disconnected - rebooting between each combination - and in every case it still takes right over 30 seconds for Eraser to come up with it's screen. I thought perhaps a service that is auto by default that I may have set to manual that is taking time to start but, then, I would think, after running Eraser once and then running it again without a restart, the service should already be running and Eraser would come right up - but it takes the 30 some seconds even in that scenario. I have Drivegleam and a network monitor running and have been watching processes in Task Manager as well. I always see the initial disk access when I run the program and Task Manager always shows only Eraser.exe using about 25% CPU time during the 30 seconds. Sometimes I see ongoing disk activity during that time and sometimes not. Sometimes I see a quick blurp of network activity during that time and sometimes not. I rarely see any program get above 15% CPU time starting up. Since no one else has chimed in, "Yeah, me too", if you don't want to mess with it, I don't blame you. But, if you do and you want any other info that might help, just let me know. I don't know if running on 64 bit has any bearing but just a reminder that this is the case for me.
BTW, every time I try to access the forum using any of the links in your emails (via Firefox 20) I get "The connection was interrupted". I haven't had a problem with any other https sights I try to access so I'm not sure what the deal is.
Thank you very much.
This site is without https, I don't see why it'd send you to http.
I can only think of two culprits then. Your task list might be empty but the file on disk is not: try deleting the task list file (I think there's an FAQ entry, basically go to %LOCALAPPDATA%\Eraser and delete Task List.ersx). After that, delete your registry entries for Eraser (you'll lose your settings). HKCU\Software\Eraser\Eraser 6. See if that helps.
I'm assuming that you're on a quad-core (or dual-core with SMT) machine?
First, your email contained the correct links this time (no https).
Processor is Intel i3 550 - dual-core with hyper-threading (I believe).
Lastly, and bestly , I deleted the Task List.ersx file - it was 96k. Before deleting the registry keys, I tried Eraser again and it came right up. Re-created my 3 tasks and the Task List.ersx file is now 3k and Eraser continues to display immediately when run. Don't know what caused the .ersx file problem - I know I probably created and deleted a number of tasks playing around after I first installed Eraser - that may be an issue to check out.
Otherwise, unless having deleting that file means I should also delete the registry keys (please let me know if so), I'm leaving things as they are and everything is now happy, happy, happy.