Eraser v6.x Option to Not Load at Startup

EraseMe

I recently installed Eraser v6.0.7.1893 (after having uninstalled and removed any traces of v5.8.7). I noticed that the Eraser process now loads at computer startup (including an icon in the System Tray), whereas v5.8.7 did not. After reviewing all of the software options, I am unable to find a way (option) to prevent Eraser from loading at startup. Can anyone confirm there is not a way (in the software) to prevent Eraser from loading at boot time? And if so, what's the best way to request that this be included in a future release? (Trac?)

I'll point out that I could use a third party program like Sysinternals' AutoRuns to prevent the Eraser process from loading at boot time, but I think it would be more appropriate for this to be an option in the software itself.

I think an option like this is very important to limit the amount of software programs that load at boot time to only those that are necessary (Windows/Antivirus/Firewall/etc.) or desired. In the recent past I had great difficulty getting a computer to boot consistently (often would not boot at all, and periodically had to restore system partition from an image backup) due to the amount and complexity of software that loaded at boot time (unfortunately, most of which was needed; too much to go into details, but very expensive work setup).

Thanks.

This issue is much discussed (and sometimes misunderstood) on the forum, but I'll try to explain. I should say at once that I share your general suspicion of programs that insist on starting up at boot time, but with Eraser I've had to go through a learning process.

Eraser 6 is, effectively, a totally different program from Eraser 5. The team decided that a re-write was needed because (1) the code had become very messy and (2) the (mostly unhelpful) changes in the Windows security model from Vista on were making things progressively more difficult for Eraser 5. The rewrite uses a different language, and a different runtime. Also, and more importantly, the decision was taken to split the code into two parts. The actual erasing engine would run continuously as a process, and the UI would run on demand as a normal program. This is what has been implemented, but it was and is seen as a transitional stage; the plan is that the erasing engine will run as a service rather than as a process, and as such be less constrained by the security restrictions. As I understand it, the plan is that this change will be implemented from Version 6.2 on, but that is dependent on programming resources, which will remain rather thin on the ground until Joel can get through the work commitments that are currently keeping him away from Eraser work.

There is an accepted ticket in Trac to allow an option for Eraser (like Version 5, optionally) not to start at boot time; that may be implemented sooner than version 6.2, but is again dependent on the availability of programming effort. In the meantime, we have to live with things as they are. So far as I know, the running Eraser process (unlike some) is not particularly demanding of system resources.

I hope this explains things.

David

I had read much of what you wrote already in other posts; but thanks for the clarification.

Regardless whether Eraser functions as a process and/or service, it could still be configured to minimize what loads at boot time (such as shell extension(s) [right-click context menus, etc.] and service entry). Even the service could be set to manual, and started by a right-click menu selection only when needed.

You're right about the running process in that is uses very little resources (not a problem after the computer boots). I'm only concerned about minimizing what needs to load at computer startup, as I've had to go through much pain getting some computers to boot due to too many processes/services/etc. competing for resources at boot time--causing some slow boots and sometimes no boots.

I understand about the programming effort, and definitely appreciate the work done on this project!

Thanks again.

EraseMe said:
Regardless whether Eraser functions as a process and/or service, it could still be configured to minimize what loads at boot time (such as shell extension(s) [right-click context menus, etc.] and service entry). Even the service could be set to manual, and started by a right-click menu selection only when needed.
I fully agree with this. My purpose was to explain why, as I understand it, the Eraser Team did what they did to get the product working. The fact that the Trac ticket is an accepted requirement clearly shows that they intend to move on from there.

David

Back