Eraser with encrypted volumes

Becky

I have an encrypted volume (Truecrypt) on my PC. Eraser works because it fills the HDD up with "useless" data and then overwrites it, right? Well, my encrypted volume is "filled" with useless data as well, so will Eraser mess up my encrypted container, or will it leave it alone and consider all the data on it an actual file? I don't want it messing with any of my personal stuff, heh. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

Becky said:
I have an encrypted volume (Truecrypt) on my PC. Eraser works because it fills the HDD up with "useless" data and then overwrites it, right? Well, my encrypted volume is "filled" with useless data as well, so will Eraser mess up my encrypted container, or will it leave it alone and consider all the data on it an actual file? I don't want it messing with any of my personal stuff, heh. Hope that makes sense.

The contents of your TrueCrypt volume are to be treated the same as if it were on a normal FAT/NTFS partition, in that you can recover data from it when mounted. The volume when unmounted will just look like random data and data is secure (assuming a strong passphrase).

The answer depends on the type of TrueCrypt volume you are using.

1) File Hosted
This is an encrypted file sitting on your hard drive (eg C:) that when mounted gives you access to your encrypted files. In this case it is safe to securely wipe the unused disk space in both the TrueCrypt volume (once mounted) and your hard drive (eg C:).

2) Partition / Device Hosted
This is where a whole partition (eg d:) or a whole hard drive is encrypted. In this scenario it is safe to wipe the unused disk space in the TrueCrypt volume (once mounted) but not the actual partition / device. Doing the latter would result in your wiping your Truecrypt Volume as Windows / eraser see the partition or device as empty.

Ah, thanks. I have scenerio (1), the file on my C:\. So as long as it's mounted I can wipe unused disc space on C:\? Or does it even need to be mounted in that case - I'm not really looking to erase unused disc space on the volume right now, just the unencrypted rest of my PC :)

Becky said:
Ah, thanks. I have scenerio (1), the file on my C:\. So as long as it's mounted I can wipe unused disc space on C:\? Or does it even need to be mounted in that case

There is no need to have the TrueCrypt volume mounted while wiping free space on C:. In fact, it would probably be better to unmount it first.

Back