Erasing a "failed" HDD

A

Anonymous

I have a 40GB hard drive that has failed. I am able to log on for a while before everything freezes and then crashes. I am hoping that the manufacturers will replace it. I do not want them to see the information on it and so would like to do a complete erase. I have had up till now 20-30mins before the system siezes. Is there any way of doing a wipe if I cannot run anything for any time longer than that?

Hardware

Yes: but not with software. You can buy hardware designed to wipe hard disk drives.

Anonymous said:
I have a 40GB hard drive that has failed. I am able to log on for a while before everything freezes and then crashes. I am hoping that the manufacturers will replace it. I do not want them to see the information on it and so would like to do a complete erase. I have had up till now 20-30mins before the system siezes. Is there any way of doing a wipe if I cannot run anything for any time longer than that?

If it's a software issue than DBAN should do the job, however if the hardware has been damaged then your only option will be what DW suggested.

Back