Erasing an external hard drive

TylerDerden

Hello all,

This is my first post and I am admittedly not the most sophisticated technical person so please be forgiving, lol.
I would like to erase my external Seagate drive. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find out how to do so. I see a lot on the DBAN (Dariks Boot and Nuke) but I do not want to erase my computer (C drive).
Can anyone please advise me?

Glenn

Use Eraser to erase all files on the external drive, then erase freespace on the drive.

Carver

Once you connect it, it should be visable in Eraser's Explorer: My computer/control Panel/Portable Media Devices. I've never done it myself though.

Glenn

Actually an external hard drive will normally show up in My Computer as a local drive (either the next available drive letter or an assigned drive letter depending on setup).

If you have it set up as a shared network drive, I recommend you ensure that other users are not accessing it when you run Eraser.

TylerDerden

Thanks for the advice guys. I went with Greg’s suggestion (Use Eraser to erase all files on the external drive, then erase freespace on the drive.) and it worked well.
One thing to note, it took 4 days to run. Just finished last night.