Erasing Folder contents that contain Viri, worms, and Trojan

A

Anonymous

I have set a schedule up to delete all the contents of TEMP, Recent, Temp Internet, and Cookies folders. This helps keep my system clean.

When there is a Virus in the 'Temp Internet' folder (TEST VIRUS), Eraser triggers the Anti Virus because it thinks Eraser is trying to open the virus, then Eraser can't complete it's tasks.

I'm forceed to delete the old fashion way, then manually run my script again.

Any thoughts on this?

Also for deleting index.dat and History.IE5 etc:

For NT Kernal Systems:

All you need to do is setup another account, log on to that and run your script from there. Because your system isn't using those folders, you'll be able to delete them. Then log back in to you normal account.

Then when I log back in, Eraser tells me that there isn't anything to delete. With this error message, I know that my script has done it's job.

Cheers!

>>When there is a Virus in the 'Temp Internet' folder (TEST VIRUS), >>Eraser triggers the Anti Virus because it thinks Eraser is trying to open >>the virus, then Eraser can't complete it's tasks.

The reason for this is the way eraser opens the file to erase it. The AV app is triggered by the opening of the file. Deleting a file via the OS does not trigger this.

To enhance your erasing idea, you could create a system task that runs under the other user.

Garrett

To enhance your erasing idea, you could create a system task that runs under the other user.

Right, but if I'm logged in as me, then I would be using the system files I'm trying to delete. This is why I hate 'Fast User Switching'. I have FUS disabled so I can log off and make these files deletable. ie: History.IE5 and Index.dat etc.

However, I did like your idea. I'll keep it in mind, for when I'm not logged in.

Cheers!

Re: Erasing Folder contents that contain Viri, worms, and Tr

Erasernator said:
Eraser triggers the Anti Virus because it thinks Eraser is trying to open the virus, then Eraser can't complete it's tasks.
Clearly, the solution is to disable the misbehaving antivirus program that interferes with erasing. Personally, I have never understood the need for antivirus software. Don't run untrusted programs, and you will never get a virus. Uninstalling Outlook (Express too) also helps. As does running a firewall and/or something else than Windows, but that's another story...

Back