Error: Nothing there to erase

A

Anonymous

When trying to erase a file located in a shared folder on remote server, I receive the following error message:
Information:
Statistics:

Erased area = 0 bytes

Cluster tips = 0 bytes

Data written = 0 bytes

Write time = 0.00 s

Failures:
Error: There was nothing to erase.

The file is located here \\SERVERNAME\ScanInbox\QI Folder
Is this large: 56.4 KB (57,766 bytes)
And takes up this much space on the HD: 60.0 KB (61,440 bytes)

The server is Win2K SP3, 2.4GHz Xeon, IBM Xseries 1GB RAM
HDD are 2 72GB SCSI and I am sorry I don't recall the raid, however I believe it is raid 0.(another volunteer handles that)

I am able to erase the file on the local disk, however I don't want users to make local copies. This is for protected health care quality management data. I want them to view the image from their PC on the server and then shred (use eraser) the file when done.

Could this be a permissions issue? The operation does not work whether I am a network user or the network admin.
I have taken off the cluster tip information check box
I am using the Guttman method

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff

WTRS Infotech said:
When trying to erase a file located in a shared folder on remote server, I receive the following error message:

From the Eraser help file:

"Network Drives

You should never erase data from a drive over the network. It will not work as expected and your network administrator will hate you for jamming the network."

Which is why Eraser refuses to touch remote files, it seems.

Anonymous said:
WTRS Infotech said:

From the Eraser help file:

"Network Drives

You should never erase data from a drive over the network. It will not work as expected and your network administrator will hate you for jamming the network."

From the Eraser FAQ: How do I erase Network Files, Floppy Disks, CD-RW, DVD-RAM, DVD-RW? Just like normal drives.

Well isn't that special?

Thanks for the help.
Jeff

Back