Errors in log file

poppyits

I get error messages in the summary report after erasing free space on C: (see example lines below) - there are 4 or 5 pages or such Failed: messages. Can any one tell me why there are files in error when I am erasing free space?

First page of report:
----------------------

Information:
Statistics:

Erased area = 128806 MB

Cluster tips = 114358 kB

Data written = 128806 MB

Write time = 10819.68 s

Write speed = 12190 kB/s

Failures:
Failed: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data\avg7log.log
Failed: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data\avg7log.log.lck
Failed: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data\AvgFwLog.log
Failed: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data\AvgFwLog.log.lck
Failed: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys\3ad391678a806ec4d691e83aaa393b6f_24adf822-76f7-4481-b30b-ff1b40f8687f
Failed: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\eHome\logs\ehRecvr.log
Failed: C:\Documents and Settings\Kay\Application Data\Microsoft\CLR Security Config\v1.1.4322\security.config.cch
Failed: C:\Documents and Settings\Kay\Cookies\index.dat
Failed: C:\Documents and Settings\Kay\Local Settings\Application Data\ApplicationHistory\MemeoBackup.exe.cfb3f2fd.ini.inuse
Failed: C:\Documents and Settings\Kay\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat
Failed: C:\Documents and Settings\Kay\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG
Failed: C:\Documents and Settings\Kay\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat
Failed: C:\Documents and Settings\Kay\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat
Failed: C:\Documents and Settings\Kay\NTUSER.DAT
Failed: C:\Documents and Settings\Kay\ntuser.dat.LOG
Failed: C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application Data\Microsoft\CLR Security Config\v1.1.4322\security.config.cch
Failed: C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Cookies\index.dat
Failed: C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat

Thanks.

The files listed there are locked by the OS due to being "in use" at the time you're running Eraser. You can reduce the amount of those files by making sure that all un-needed programs are shut down and that you're not actually using the computer when trying to do a free-space wipe. Pete

one way to reduce the amount of files that are locked is to run Eraser in Safe Mode once in a while. As this is slower than running it in normal mode, I would suggest that the run just be confined to Cluster Tips and perhaps just even one pass.

Incidentally, the files that are locked only affect Eraser when doing a Cluster Tip Area wipe. Just wiping freespace will produce no "errors" as there are no locked files in freespace. In Eraser you can check/uncheck these options.

Not too sure exactly what Cluster Tips are, but I was only intending to wipe free space so I guess that's the answer. Is wiping Cluster Tips a default selection are did I manage to click it without realising?

Back